1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

light dimmer switch on furnace type fan ?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by JustWood, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    I want to use an old furnace fan to circulate hot air from my shop to my greenhouse built onto the opposite end of the shop(50').Can I use a dimmer switch to control the fan speed?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
  3. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Cool ! I'm also gonna Y off of the duct so I can dump some heat too. The stove I built I think might be overkill for my shop even burning small loads but it didn't cost me any thing except welding rod as all materials I scarfed out of a dumpster.
  4. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    Some dimmers you maybe can and others you can't. You can get fan motor speed control switches, but I believe the design of some motors will not work with speed control. Consequence might be overheat, burn out fire, or not work.
  5. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    In general, most direct drive fans are PSC or shaded pole motors and can be slowed down with a triac type speed controller. Most belt drive blowers are split phase or capacitor start and don't like to be slowed down at all. Most of them will just blow the triac when they start. Dimmers are for lights and will not work for very long on a motor. Make sure you buy a genuine motor speed controller. Most are rated by amps and will have rather large heat sinks on them. They aren't very expensive.

Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.