Liner Flexibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
What is the most flexible 6" liner that can be insulated?

I had a guy come back out a second time to look at my fireplace.

I have an approximate 3 foot offset that would require a lot of flexibility. The liner they
have is rather rigid and not all that flexible. They're wondering if there is a liner that
can make a fairly significant bend while not compromising on safety.

Their all about the same... The lighter the flex the better... We normally run 005 but the other day we ran .006 and rolling it on the same coiler made it kink in some sections.. Hope that helps

I have seen you mention this offset before but don't recall seeing you describe it. Is it a 90 degree turn, over three feet and then a 90 degree down or what?

BrotherBart said:
I have seen you mention this offset before but don't recall seeing you describe it. Is it a 90 degree turn, over three feet and then a 90 degree down or what?

It comes straight down, then approximately 90 degrees for 3 feet.

Here's the photo showing an approximation.

Attachments

• fireplace_need liner.jpg
    fireplace_need liner.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 374
MagnaFlex said:
Their all about the same... The lighter the flex the better... We normally run 005 but the other day we ran .006 and rolling it on the same cooler made it kink in some sections.. Hope that helps

The sample piece he showed me that they use was very rigid, it can be bent but not easily. I can see how they would have
a problem with that.

Joe O said:
What's the ID of the opening or the existing flue ?

I don't understand, what's the ID?

I do know it has an existing 12" clay liner that comes down on the left hand side, you can look up and see
where it comes down and it's about three feet over from the middle of the damper.

I was told they'll need to cut out the damper and part of the steel backplate for it to work.

Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• flue.jpg
    flue.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 343
  • up flue2.jpg
    up flue2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 332
Joe O said:
So its a square 12x12. I.D.= inside diameter

Correct, it could actually hold the 8" liner but I was told a 6" would be considerably easier to work with,
especially after it's insulated, and likely give me a better draw.

Deron said:
Joe O said:

Correct, it could actually hold the 8" liner but I was told a 6" would be considerably easier to work with,

Why not try a 7" liner? Perhaps the best of both worlds.

THEMAN said:
Deron said:
Joe O said:

Why not try a 7" liner? Perhaps the best of both worlds.

Whatever works.

Bump for info on the most flexible ss liner

I didn't use it because both of my flues are pretty straight shots but the Homesaver Ultra Pro liner that my local hearth shop sells looks to be more flexible and crush resistant than any I have laid hands on.

Flexible being a relative thing with liners.

BrotherBart said:
I didn't use it because both of my flues are pretty straight shots but the Homesaver Ultra Pro liner that my local hearth shop sells looks to be more flexible and crush resistant than any I have laid hands on.

Flexible being a relative thing with liners.

You think it can make those turns in that photo I posted?

Making the turns isn't the problem. Being albe to get hands/tools whatever in there to make them is. And something only the person that is going to install the liner can determine whether it is possible or not. But it is going to be a bear of a job any way they do it.

I got my liner from Chimney liner inc [316TI I think] and that was flexible enough for the jog in my fireplace that seems about the same as yours. I did purchase the adjustable 45 stove connector for it. I think I may have purchased that one somewhere else.

I think a 6'' will go, I would be worried about tearing up the insulating blanket on the bends. The foil face doesn't take a lot of abuse even with the wire mesh, at least the few I've done

Joe O said:
I think a 6'' will go, I would be worried about tearing up the insulating blanket on the bends. The foil face doesn't take a lot of abuse even with the wire mesh, at least the few I've done

What about the "Insulflex" that Magnaflex sells. That should take care of the insulating blanket issue, however I have no idea as to how flexible it is. That would be a good question for Magnaflex though.

Heck, if it works and if it's safe I'm game.

The fireplace guy that I had come out called back again today and more or less declined the job.

He says there is not a liner made that can make the 3 foot 90 degree turn, I told him about what
I've heard/read on here but I believe it's falling on deaf ears.

Does anyone for sure know of a 6" liner that without a doubt CAN do this?

It's becoming demoralizing. :(

I don't see any 90's in your diagram only 45's... but he's correct 3 foot 90 is pretty much impossible, for a 6" pipe it takes four feet to create a 90 degree angle.
Deron said:
The fireplace guy that I had come out called back again today and more or less declined the job.

He says there is not a liner made that can make the 3 foot 90 degree turn, I told him about what

MagnaFlex said:
I don't see any 90's in your diagram only 45's... but he's correct 3 foot 90 is pretty much impossible, for a 6" pipe it takes four feet to create a 90 degree angle.
Deron said:

The diagram is accurate and you're right, it is closer to a 45 degree turn...I'd say around 60 or so.

I'm going to try and get a better photo today.

UPDATE:

I am in business! Installed today with a 23 foot insulated wrapped HomeSaver SS liner.

The entire job took about 4 hours since they had to cut a section of steel box to accommodate
the liner. The offset proved to be nothing more than a minor inconvenience, they had it in place
in no time.

My problem turned out to be bad masonry and cracks which permitted the smokey smell upstairs
in the sister flue. No smell upstairs at all.

Now I'm preparing for them to come back and plumb a propane gas line for my 24" Monessen gas
log set for the upstairs fireplace.

Wood burner now in basement and vent free in great room soon, hopefully before Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.