Liner guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijbelair55

Jan 8, 2014
sussex nj
Hi everybody first time long time!! I have been trying to narrow down a liner for my stove to get.little about install, free standing stove inside fireplace,block off plate already installed,chimney is in center of house . Now do I need to insulate liner???What brand does everybody like?

Insulate maybe, brand well they are all olympia from what I've read. If its straight u could do rigid.

Just find the best deal online or if needing installed then theres got to be a shop.

I have a set up similar to what you are describing. I went with an Olympia SS flex liner (about 20') that I installed myself. I did not insulate the liner except for stuffing fiberglass insulation around the top of the liner inside the chimney at the top where the brick chimney is exposed to the outdoors. I wanted to throw some heat inside my big chimney (8'x4') to take advantage if its thermal mass to release heat slowly after my fire dies out overnight. I can hit my chimney with an IR thermometer and get readings in the 90s on the backside, which is in the kitchen.

The main reason given stich b.jpg for insulating liners is to keep the exhaust gasses hotter to minimize creosote build up in the flue. I only sweep my chimney once a year at the end of the season and never have any creosote, just fluffy soot. I do, however, have to clean my rain cap at least once mid-season or it will clog up. I have easy access to my roof and chimney, so this isn't a big problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set up similar to what you are describing. I went with an Olympia SS flex liner (about 20') that I installed myself. I did not insulate the liner except for stuffing fiberglass insulation around the top of the liner inside the chimney at the top where the brick chimney is exposed to the outdoors. I wanted to throw some heat inside my big chimney (8'x4') to take advantage if its thermal mass to release heat slowly after my fire dies out overnight. I can hit my chimney with an IR thermometer and get readings in the 90s on the backside, which is in the kitchen.

The main reason givenView attachment 160975 for insulating liners is to keep the exhaust gasses hotter to minimize creosote build up in the flue. I only sweep my chimney once a year at the end of the season and never have any creosote, just fluffy soot. I do, however, have to clean my rain cap at least once mid-season or it will clog up. I have easy access to my roof and chimney, so this isn't a big problem.
Thats a pretty stove.

Now do I need to insulate liner???
Yes almost always you need to insulate and in my opinion every one should regardless of whether it is required or not. As far as the brand goes that doesn't matter as much as the alloy and construction. we use at minimum the mid weight liners for wood.

brand well they are all olympia from what I've read
Not true at all there are many different manufacturers out there and Olympia is not even the biggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.