Liner in chimney but not swept

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettols

Jan 8, 2015
Suffolk
Hi, we recently bought a property with a wood Burner in it. After replacing the old registration plate with a new steel one we've noticed that the chimney was never swept before fitting the liner. Is this a problem? Can I still put vermiculite down the chimney?

Does the chimney need to be vented at the top?

Yes it is a problem and no pouring vermiculite down it will not fix the problem. Also don't use straight vermiculite there are mixes made for the purpose that work much better and are tested. Not sure what you mean by vented at the top

How bad is the mason chimney? It shouldn't be too hard to remove the liner and clean it. At that point you can decide if you have enough room for a wrap style insulation, or do a pour down.

Reactions: bholler
Yes it is a problem and no pouring vermiculite down it will not fix the problem. Also don't use straight vermiculite there are mixes made for the purpose that work much better and are tested. Not sure what you mean by vented at the top

Thanks, am I going to have to remove the liner and sweep? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks, am I going to have to remove the liner and sweep? Or is there something else I can do?
Yeah you are going to have to pull the liner

Uk
Hi the masonry looks really good, there's not much room around the liner and the chimney. Looking up the chimney there's about 2/3mm of soot .

The top rarely looks as good as the bottom. Most creosote forms up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.