Liner Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryS

Nov 21, 2008
Central MO
Found my liner kit on the porch last night. sure was fast shipping.

This is a 6" liner going in my 8" cast steel flue for my PE wood stove.

What do you normally do at the bottom of the tee? Does it need to be supported or just hang? the tee will be 6" or so above the bottom of the clean out.

The tee also came with a bottom cap. Is it advisable to leave that on?

The liner is supported by the top cap. My top cap had a band that got tightened on the liner to hold it and support the weight. The T needs the bottom plate or the liner would not be sealed and would pull air from that.

Yeah the liner supports (hangs, really) from the top. at the bottom you'll need a sheetmetal blockoff plate (above top of firebox, essentially) and the tee below that. Not sure what you mean by "the tee will be 6” or so above the bottom of the clean out."

The bottom of the tee has the cleanout cap which absolutely needs to be screwed in place.

Edit: added a pic of my tee & cleanout cap. There's a sheetmetal plate just up inside the box that the liner goes thru, and we put a band clamp above and below the plate to hold it tight, then screwed the plate into the sides of the firebox.

Just had the cleanout cap apart and checked out this weekend - just about a capful of crusty, flaky crud. The very tippity-top of the 35+ ft chimney was gooped up pretty good w/ sticky tar, but I have serious doubts about it ever getting chimney-fire-hot enough at that height - just way too easy to condense creosote up there.

Attachments

• h6.jpg
    h6.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 196
This sounds easy enough. I'm glad I don't have to build anything in the bottom of the flue.

This isn't an insert. This is going in an outside flue that comes in through the basement wall with a cleanout just below. Here's a crude drawing.

Flue.jpg

i can't see your sketch (probably a firewall issue here at work). If you have just a thimble thru the basement wall, that's ok. you'll want this to be an insulated liner if that "outside flue" is truly outside the house for its full run.

And if you haven't yet, peruse this forum for some of the issues folks have faced w/ basement installs - tough to heat the upstairs in some cases, and others have seen significant draft issues...

Edthedawg said:
i can't see your sketch (probably a firewall issue here at work). If you have just a thimble thru the basement wall, that's ok. you'll want this to be an insulated liner if that "outside flue" is truly outside the house for its full run.

And if you haven't yet, peruse this forum for some of the issues folks have faced w/ basement installs - tough to heat the upstairs in some cases, and others have seen significant draft issues...

The flue is cased in block and brick. It's underground for the first 4 or 5 feet. I wasn't planning to put wrap around the liner.

Where it comes through the basement wall, will I need to seal that with mortar, insulation material? I have a 6" collar I plan to put around the stove pipe where it goes into the wall and connects to the tee. I was wondering if that would be enough of a seal to create dead air space.

Sorry - I can't help you w/ the basement wall / thimble construction details. Someone else here probably can.

I think you're really going to want insulation on your liner w/ the exterior chimney coming up from the basement. Like I said before - lots of basement install horror stories out there in this forum... good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.