liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mheller

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
will be doing a reline of masonary chimney, about 25' high from existing damper. the chimney runs inside the house, on exterior wall and sticks out above roof by 6 ft. first floor has enclosed 3 season porch on other side of chimney. existing chimney has 8 x 12 clay flueliner from about 3-4' above damper to roof line, above roof is just masonary. thinking of using homesaver ultra pro ss liner. question is do you insulate the ss liner up to 1st clay tile and above roof or all the way? is it neccessaary to insulate all the way? appreciate advise and suggestions on liner type. check out pic on chimney.

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 464
Since part of your flue does not have a clay liner I would suggest you insulated the entire thing. At a minimum you MUST insulate the section without any clay liner. The problem is going to be getting a liner down the 8x12 (usually 6" ID at the narrow side) with insulation on it. We have done a few installs into 8x12 flues using DuraLiner oval rigid liner. It is double wall and pre insulated. It fits very easly down an 8x12 clay flue. Either way you will probably need either a 5.5" liner or an oval liner to get it down with insulation.

zanp: I actually meant for winter to post here and you to continue in your own post... oh well. Anyway... I don't have personal expiriance with those exact products but from the pictures and the info given it looks like it will work just fine. Make sure you use the 1/2" insulation kit as suggested on the site for solid fuels. With the two kits combined it looks like you would have everything you need to get it done. After the 1/2" insulation the whole thing will be over 7" (about 7-1/2") wide so make sure it will fit down your flue.

Appreciate the answer. for noob/diy it's tough to choose a liner. when you google chimney liner get so many listings and of course there all the best. I'll admit I was sandbagging here the last 1/2 hour or so since I ordered the flex king kit and 1/2" insulation kit from c/ldepot today. they gave me 5% off web prices when i phoned order in. Should get delivery on Friday and I will post whether quality is as good as they say. Probably will be ordering wood stove tomorrow, going with avalon/lopi 1750 model and will be putting it into existing masonary fireplace. I must say I did alot of reading of posts on this forum and have learned a great deal. The regulars have great advice. Thank you

Glad you decided to do the insulation, its a good choice (and required) on an unlined chimney.

From the above web page:

"At Chimney Liner Depot we care about safety and health when installing wraps. Our foil-faced insulation wrap is a safer and healthier alternative to ceramic wool blankets. Our 2100 degree insulation blanket has an accelerated rate of solubility in body fluids and a very low bile persistence. "

Solubility in body fluids...low bile persistance?? Can someone please fill me in on what that means?

Winter, I bought my liner from chimneylinerdepot as well, seems like a good product. They even sent me some extra footage after my original 25' liner measured a little short.

In this situation I would not use anything but a SS liner as long as you can get it to where you want it to go. I like solid (oval or round) when it can be used, as it is totally smooth walled.

Status
Not open for further replies.