Liner size question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
So, I'm think of having a stainless liner installed in my chimney for my stove...but got to thinking today. My stove needs at least a 6" flu, and my chimney is a tile lined 7 X 11" flu. Usually stainless liners are insulated with a wrap...but in my case would it fit down there? Would they just skip the insulation wrap and would that be ok since there is a tile liner? I'm just confused in how they'd handle this sort of thing...although I would think it's kinda common?

Yes, It's pretty common. If the chimney is tall enough you may be able to drop down to a 5.5 in. liner to accommodate the insulation. There are also preinsulated liners. What is the actual ID of the chimney?

I believe it's 7X11", that's the brush I use to clean it. I'd have to measure to be sure. Is it a bad thing to not insulate it when there's a tile liner already there? I'd hate to think what it would take to remove the clay tile.

How tall is the chimney? Insulation helps improve safety and performance. It's a win win solution.

Last edited:
It actually is not that big of a deal to remove the liners usually. You definitely want to insulate it it will preform much better be safer and it is probably required by code as well. You have a few options you can have the liners broken out you can ovalize or you can down size to 5.5. I think liner removal is the best but it would pretty much require having a pro do it. the other 2 are ok options as well. Another possibility is something like duraliner that may possibly fit i have never used it but some of the regulars here have and like it

Yeah, I'm thinking removing the clay tile liner will be in order, at least from the the top down to where the stove joins the flu which is 16 feet. The other 18+ feet just continues to the basement to the clean out door down there. I have someone coming Tues to have a look and provide me an estimate. This whole concern started by taking the stove pipe off and looking into the flu, directly across the fle the tile liner has a few cracks in it, most likely from years of heat. They appear to be hairline cracks, no missing pieces or mortar showing. I'm hoping they say I'm good to burn as is until spring summer and then we can line it given the time of year it is. Everywhere else the flu looks like new, and I got it nice and clean with my brush. Maybe they can just paint brush on a sealer on that tile to get by until spring? I'll let the experts have a look and decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.