Lit the Stove yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Had a labor day party at my parent's house. Grandma was over and got cold, so I lit a small fire to take the chill off. Outside temp was in the low 60's...I'm really surprised I got any draft, but the new chimney we installed this spring gets an excellent draft.

Gotta love this Indiana weather. It was 98* Saturday, and it is 51* as I type this post.

While I hope were a ways off from havin to burn, we sure are looking forward to it. The weather around here has been something... it was over 100 on Friday, and supposed to be in the 70's all week !

We were at a Labor Day party with friends up north. They had an evening and a morning campfire which was most welcome.

We did not reach 60 yesterday but it did not get as cold overnight as expected because it did not clear off. Stayed cloudy all night which kept the temperature up. Got into the low 60's today. I like it!

Yes sir, I also love the cooler drier crisp air. The outside fire pit with a couple chairs and a beverage is also a favorite this time of the year.

Mine today, 58 degrees F or 14.4 C. Good time to burn the dust off. Kitty missed the bonding time.

Attachments

• First fire.jpg
    First fire.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 137
Couldn't help myself either. We tied a record low last night of 44. Tonight should be similar. We have all this maple from last March cooking outside (seriously-extremely hot summer, just ask my air-conditioner), stacked very lose, in the sun and wind and tests less than 15%. Fire is amazing. Last spring I'd saved some of my best looking wood just to store in the stove all summer to look at but removed for this maple test. In the stove I found a dried tree frog, a couple giant dead dried up horse flies and a large moth. Now that the cob webs are burned up, I'll do the stove/chimney/cap cleaning tomorrow after work. You are right about the dust smell when the fan kicked on, just like my NG forced air furnace. Funny how I never got this excited about it coming on the first time ..... or any other time for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.