Little help with my build.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing your progress photos, I think you will be so happy with your final results. And nothing like sitting in your lawn chair doing your break in fires right in the driveway, so cool. I'm looking forward to the final install pics when it's all done. Congrats!

As a rep for the insulation nerds....Away from the stove, it looks like you have an 1" of xps against the concrete, then wood studs with FG batts, then drywall. Nice. Nearer the stove, it looks like OSB against the concrete? Whattha?

Ah ok, I misread then. So the only place you have the plywood in on the bottom at the hearth? My mistake.
Not sure how they would interpret the alcove minimum measurements? Not sure if that is to combustibles, or required air space?
They don't give any details as to what they mean by the measurements. But if your all stone & steel studs, top & sides, you should be ok.
At first I was thinking the same thing.......after I re-read the post several times I understood he only had plywood at the bottom, and that should be fine with his stove.....

The only thing I see on your install that I would maybe have done a little differently is put a vent at the top of your alcove, right below your firestop, into the room. There will be trapped heat in the hidden part of that alcove. I don't think it will be an issue, but if you had a vent up there, it would release that heat into the room and 'convect' cooler air into the alcove, thus creating a sort of draft that would help distribute heat out of the alcove. I installed stone vents in my chase when I cased it this past winter, and they do work. I'm in no way busting on you, as it will look and perform quite well the way it is. But it's something you may want to consider doing. Here's a couple pics of my stone vents. Before and after I installed the stone. The bottom ones on either side of the ZC fireplace are slanted down, so as to not let you see into the chase. The top center register is slanted up, and you cannot see into it either. They work via convection and when the fire is going, you can put your hand near one of the bottom vents and feel air convecting....

2012-11-30_14-46-37_548.jpg 2012-12-24_12-30-24_987.jpg

OSB? There is no OSB......

OF course. what is the beige sheet good behind the stone?

MAybe I'm seeing rockwool before the cement board went up?

Reactions: ScotO
OF course. what is the beige sheet good behind the stone?

MAybe I'm seeing rockwool before the cement board went up?
Yep.....rockwool. I had to go back and look at the pictures several times and I'm thinking "where is the OSB?". I figured you were seeing the rockwool......

You had me sweating for the OP here.....hate to see something like that ruin his nice project!

The only thing I see on your install that I would maybe have done a little differently is put a vent at the top of your alcove, right below your firestop, into the room. There will be trapped heat in the hidden part of that alcove. I don't think it will be an issue, but if you had a vent up there, it would release that heat into the room and 'convect' cooler air into the alcove, thus creating a sort of draft that would help distribute heat out of the alcove. I installed stone vents in my chase when I cased it this past winter, and they do work. I'm in no way busting on you, as it will look and perform quite well the way it is. But it's something you may want to consider doing. Here's a couple pics of my stone vents. Before and after I installed the stone. The bottom ones on either side of the ZC fireplace are slanted down, so as to not let you see into the chase. The top center register is slanted up, and you cannot see into it either. They work via convection and when the fire is going, you can put your hand near one of the bottom vents and feel air convecting....

View attachment 103530 View attachment 103531

Actually I will post pics of the inside of the alcove later but there actually is a gap left in it at the top that I could vent. I was going to wait and see how it worked as is and add a small fan later if needed/wanted. The game is at the top just above the ceiling grid system so I could vent it upstairs or in the basement.

Reactions: ScotO
Actually I will post pics of the inside of the alcove later but there actually is a gap left in it at the top that I could vent. I was going to wait and see how it worked as is and add a small fan later if needed/wanted. The game is at the top just above the ceiling grid system so I could vent it upstairs or in the basement.
a fan in there with a gap at the top will help you. Being that your stove is in the basement, I bet you could install a register at the top of that thing that would vent heat directly upstairs out of the alcove.....that would be the "cats azz"'''

Either way, I am liking your install. Very nice. Your stone, being 4" thick, is more of a 'brick' than a 'veneer', so you probably did the right thing by beefing up the bottom with concrete......

So fireplace is done and we got the stove in the basement. Gunna kill me to wait 2 days before I put the stove in so the mortar cures.

Reactions: raybonz and ScotO
Looking good Rick!

Ray

Ok so stove is in place. Only problem is the telescoping double wall is off like 6 inches.

Reactions: raybonz
Whoa, where does this pipe transition from class A to double wall connector?

Whoa, where does this pipe transition from class A to double wall connector?

At the ceiling support. I don't suppose I could use a couple 45 on the top of the stove? I don't think draft should be a issue its 21' of class A then 7 foot of double wall. In hind sight I should have asked them to make the chase a bit deeper and I should have positioned the OAK a little different.

Also.... Couple questions about thermostats.... The cat temp thermostat has a hole it goes in. Do you guys just slid it in or do you seal it some how? Also I bought a thermostat the goes in the double wall pipe that I need to drill a hole. Again do you guys seal it somehow?

You can do a double-45 offset off the stove. Our stove has this. My primary concern is the heat build up in the chase over the stove. IMO this should not have been enclosed. That double wall pipe is going to get hot. And the stove is going to contribute a lot more heat. Your installation is definitely pushing limits. Is the support box framed all in metal too? In the least I would like to see a vent grille relieving some of the heat trapped under the support box in that chase.

RE: the question about thermometers. There is no need to seal the hole for a Condar in the double-wall pipe. It has a magnetic seal.

You can do a double-45 offset off the stove. Our stove has this. My primary concern is the heat build up in the chase over the stove. IMO this should not have been enclosed. That double wall pipe is going to get hot. And the stove is going to contribute a lot more heat. Your installation is definitely pushing limits. Is the support box framed all in metal too? In the least I would like to see a vent grille relieving some of the heat trapped under the support box in that chase.

RE: the question about thermometers. There is no need to seal the hole for a Condar in the double-wall pipe. It has a magnetic seal.

Thats great to hear I can do the 45's. As far as the chase. Its all metal studs with a vent on top you can't see.(Vents up into the dropped ceiling.)

The condar does have the magnet, but what about the cat thermometer?

Not sure, but I suspect it's not an issue for the cat thermometer. Why vent into the dropped ceiling area? Is it all wood construction in that space?

Not sure, but I suspect it's not an issue for the cat thermometer. Why vent into the dropped ceiling area? Is it all wood construction in that space?

I vented into that area so the chase wasn't completely enclosed. And since its dropped I can get in there to do anything with it I want.

So the support box is also framed and supported by metal, right? I would keep a high temp, remote thermometer probe up at the support box. It could get surprisingly hot up there.

No the support box is wood framed about 7 foot up from the top of the stove. But I also shielded it with metal just in case of a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.