Load on splitter motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

razzorm

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2008
Berkshires, Western MA
Recently put a new hydraulic valve on older brave log splitter. It works fine but there is more of a load on the gas engine when the cylinder is returning to idle position than when it is extending out (without a log in place).
Engine working harder than it needs to probably using more gas. I have decent DIY skills. Any thing I can do about it or should I live with it this way?

That implies that the return port is sized smaller than the old one. Unless there is debris in the new valve blocking this port I expect you get to live with it unless there is way of increasing the port size (doubtfull).

Need a pressure gauge on the closed side, then move it to the rod side.

Valve may be too small, or ported differently.
What is the cylinder size, and rod size?

More flow comes out of the closed side on retract than is going into the rod side. Rod side gets pump flow in, closed side puts out 30 to 50% more due to the area ratio.
If the valve is marginally sized, the pressure drop increases rapidly. Pressure drop is a square term, not directly proportional to flow. Increased flow by 50%. (1.5 x flow) increases the pressure drop by 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25 times.

This larger pressure on the closed side has to be overcome by the smaller area on the rod side, so the pressure required on the rod side can increase pretty dramatically. It is possible if the pressure on rod side gets high enough in retract that the large section of the pump could be unloading and it retracts only on the low flow small section of the pump.

Flow is speed, with a fixed pump, IF the system is flow limited by the pump and not pressure limited by the loads and resistances.
It is not intuitive, and sounds impossible, but when a circuit is pressure limited, say a servo controlled cylinder, the retract speed can actually be a lot slower than extend.

This is s simple logsplitter, but it still can be pressure limited causing the large section to unload.

Need some pressure gauge readings to narrow it down.
It's not only a speed and time issue, but likely will be a heat issue as the energy is being converted to heat.

Last edited:
I am sorry I can not contribute to the thread, but I need to ask someone about my 15 year old 25 ton Yard Machine Log splitter. I was splitting oak wood pretty great for two hrs then the splitter wouldn't split anymore. THe cylinder retracts and extends but when it makes contact with the wood, it does not split. Like its lost most of its power. Should I replace the vale or gear pump? THanks

I am sorry I can not contribute to the thread, but I need to ask someone about my 15 year old 25 ton Yard Machine Log splitter. I was splitting oak wood pretty great for two hrs then the splitter wouldn't split anymore. THe cylinder retracts and extends but when it makes contact with the wood, it does not split. Like its lost most of its power. Should I replace the vale or gear pump? THanks

Foothill, you maybe want to start your own thread. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-to-post-on-the-hearth-com-forums.139782/

Recently put a new hydraulic valve on older brave log splitter. It works fine but there is more of a load on the gas engine when the cylinder is returning to idle position than when it is extending out (without a log in place).
Engine working harder than it needs to probably using more gas. I have decent DIY skills. Any thing I can do about it or should I live with it this way?
I'm waiting on the order for a new valve as well for an old Brave 20 ton. What brand of valve did you get?

Is it cycling faster?