Loading for overnight burn - coals on glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThisStoveIsOnFire

Sep 22, 2022
NH
Wasn't really able to load my old stove that well but now that I have a new one I can pack it N/S to the gills for an overnight burn which is great, but...the coals from the ends of the logs tend to fall off and end up right up on the glass - I'm thinking I can just leave them be to burn down into ash, or is that not safe/good for the glass? Not talking a massive pileup, just a few chunks.

Let them burn down. Maybe go for 1 or 2" shorter splits next season?

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
The glass (transparent ceramic) will generally be fine from a heat point of view. Essentially zero thermal expansion, so no real stress from the heat or coals.

I know when I get wood close to the glass, sometimes it will leave a tar/soot smudge which needs some extra cleaning, or a good hot burn to remove. Seems like we had a post or two several years ago where someone claimed their wood did the same thing and left a smudge which left some permanent discoloration on the glass. So bottom line - I think the coals would be fine, but if it is actually outgassing wood which leaves tar/smoke marks you might want to keep an eye on it.

It may be common in an E/W loader, but stove mfgs. warn against it.

Reactions: Rob_Red