LOADING UP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twocycle

Dec 1, 2014
Mississippi
At the risk of sounding even more ignorant than I do, does filling my insert with a full load of wood mean I will have a hotter fire initially or a longer burn? I am in south Mississippi, & winters here are not typically bad. I don't need 650 sustained stove temps.....even 550, and I would like to reload as little as possible, preferably twice a day. I currently load very loose, half full loads, three times a day. It gets plenty hot, but I am wondering if 2 full, tight loads a day will give me longer burns & not necessarily increased temps. I have a non cat, "tube" insert.

Full tight loads will burn longer than loose loads because the air (or fire) can't get at all the wood surfaces to burn at the same time. If you took it to the extreme, it's like a box full of kindling vs one large log. Once it's burning, turn the air as low as possible and you should be good and your temps will probably not be as hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.