Log 28 ID Please, Anonther No Clue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
Cut up this little morsel after work today. The bark is telling the story me thinks! Any one know? I'll split it later if it helps.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN3198rl28.jpg
    DSCN3198rl28.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN3199rl28.jpg
    DSCN3199rl28.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN3200rl28.jpg
    DSCN3200rl28.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN3201rl28.jpg
    DSCN3201rl28.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN3204rl28.jpg
    DSCN3204rl28.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN3205rl28.jpg
    DSCN3205rl28.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 208
Bruce, I'll bet you can make a wild guess and come pretty close. How about trying?

:) White Cherry? For lack of better words.

I love it when people make me think!

I keep trying to teach my kids tree identification from a moving car. This is the first tree we started with. Distinctive winter camo bark means American Sycamore. That is will mixed bunch of logs you got. Now that I see Sycamore it makes me think maybe some of your soft maples are Silver Maple. Silver Maple and Sycamore often grow together along rivers.

Reactions: smokinj
yep. gotta get here quick to beat wood duck.

sycamore. never burned it. i hear its decent firewood but cruel to split

I have no idea how you see sycamore? I see H.Maple.What you are calling winter camo, is just where some bark came off recently. The wood looks like maple not like sycamore, that tree has nice small heart unlike any sycamore I have seen. By the Way sycamore is very very rare this far north so it's one i have not seen much of.

I think nrford is right about the bark coming off. I need to look more closely next time. If that is missing bark then I'm not sure what type of wood it is.

I'm trying to learn how to I.D. logs by following this forum. I am 100% beginner and I have a good sense of humour. I won't be insulted if you point out my stupidity. I came up through a trade that was much more brutal than this. So a tip that was pointed out to me to I.D. hardwood from softwood is a hardwood cut leaves the wood smooth. That end cut is anything but smooth in my eyes. Please tell me what I'm not seeing. I assume H.Maple means Hard Maple? Isn't sycamore a hard wood on the low end of the btu scale?

I'm trying to learn how to I.D. logs by following this forum. I am 100% beginner and I have a good sense of humour. I won't be insulted if you point out my stupidity. I came up through a trade that was much more brutal than this. So a tip that was pointed out to me to I.D. hardwood from softwood is a hardwood cut leaves the wood smooth. That end cut is anything but smooth in my eyes. Please tell me what I'm not seeing. I assume H.Maple means Hard Maple? Isn't sycamore a hard wood on the low end of the btu scale?

I'm a newbee too! Got to have humor for sure. What I see in the end cut between hardwood and softwood is what I call the "fuzz factor" When I cut a piece of pine or hemlock, I see a fuzzy furry type of cut. When I cut hardwood, there is no fuzz. Those marks you see in the picture is just a sharp chain hacking through the wood. I'm sure the others around here would have a better explaination for this.

~Bruce

If it's sycamore, it'll make nice wood for the shoulder season. It seasons easily, burns well, and seems happy in our stove.

Actually, most wood seems happy in our stove as long as it's seasoned...... ;)

its sycamore as long its just that log.not the log its resting on in pic 1 and 2.....but that is 100% sycamore

O-Boy! I'll split one to help here

Thanks,
Bruce

Looks like a maple log with mold growing under the bark - where it fell off.

Bruce you had a sycamore log in your original post of log load. Have you cut or taken pictures of that yet? It would clear it up for some that haven't seen it before

75790-03eb23778167bf254811403d4d097948.jpg

The 3rd-4th log on top from the left with offset butt cut is a sycamore

I'll check when I get home basod.

Is it possibly a crab apple? We have lots of them around here. I saw one today and the bark was close or similar but not identical.

get it split so i can show these amateurs its sycamore. im not even basing it on the white bark on the bottom.

75790-03eb23778167bf254811403d4d097948.jpg

The 3rd-4th log on top from the left with offset butt cut is a sycamore

I can assure you there is not 1 sycamore in that photo!

get it split so i can show these amateurs its sycamore. im not even basing it on the white bark on the bottom.

How much ya want to bet?? Better watch who you call an amateur! LOL ;)

i cant see the one photo with all the logs....well i c it but it stays small cant make it larger

not all sycamore has the camo look...well most i have cut many that have it part way of the tree and the rest have this kind of bark,,looks like his log
syca.jpg

Reactions: smokinj
Note large diameter of heartwood to diameter of tree. Now look at heartwood of tree in question in OP. Small tiny heart like good Hard Maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.