Log marking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sailrmike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2017
I've used different methods for marking up logs before cutting into consistent lengths, but those methods proved to be time consuming and not very accurate. Until now:
1606349331934.png

It came today, and I was able to use it a little. It's extremely well crafted, light weight, simple and easy to use. Not only do I get the correct lenth of wood, but it also helps me to start a square cut as well. I highly recommend this tool

That looks like a sweet tool. I am currently using the zip tie method. Gets cuts to within an inch, always attached to saw.

I turn the saw 90* to the log and roughly to the back bar nut on a 20” bar gives me about 22” I can fit 23ish in the stove. I’m also interested to hear what the zip tie method is

Acc-U-Mark --- looks like a good one to copy / home project. This will help process my log load of black locust. I have been sitting on this pile for about two years -- no worries as it is Black Locust. Thanks OP for posting.

Attachments

• locust.JPG
    locust.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 139
I turn my saw.. the back of the handle to the end of the log and one of the rivets on the bar is the 18in mark. I cut all mine to 18in.. most are exactly 18.. but some can go .5in either way.. Its super fast and accurate. When I'm in the woods cutting log lenth. I drop the tree and get a tape measure and mark out paint and mark the log out to 9ft and cut it to length and hall it out. Ill mark up the entire tree.. takes 3 minutes and im on my way to cutting to length..

Acc-U-Mark --- looks like a good one to copy / home project. This will help process my log load of black locust. I have been sitting on this pile for about two years -- no worries as it is Black Locust. Thanks OP for posting.
2 year old black locust that is going to be tuff cutting and splitting. I was alway told to get it cut and split as fast as possible.

Reactions: Lakeside
2 year old black locust that is going to be tuff cutting

You are right the older dried out BL will eat up my chain. I plan on breaking out my sharping file set daily. As for spitting my electric super-splitter should be fine. Yes --- is I was not so busy with my dog I would have split it earlier, but I am not worried about rot after all it is BL.

I thought about getting a mingo marker. Has anyone uses one? This lools like a good alternative to it though my interest is peaked

I thought about getting a mingo marker. Has anyone uses one? This lools like a good alternative to it though my interest is peaked

I always use the mingo. Works great. So easy, fast, consistent. No jacking around with turning the saw or making little saw marks revenge the engine.

I used to hold a 16” stick in my trigger hand to measure each round.

Reactions: awicherr
I take out a stick that is pre-measured to my firewood length and mark all the logs with a small hand saw. @Ashful mentioned the technique in a similar thread a year or so ago. Since I tend to pile my logs all parallel in a more or less organized stack I can mark just a few logs and cut down through three or four at a time.

Reactions: EPS and MissMac
Sometimes my wife will mark the logs for me and then it's even faster.

I use two hand lengths and a couple inches on a fairly straight broken stick. If I’m firewooding a tree on the way down on a tree removal, all bets are off, I cheat and make em longer near the top to help get me done quicker, I make em shorter when they’re heavy to be able to push em off without blowing a vein

Reactions: EPS and neverbilly
Sometimes my wife will mark the logs for me and then it's even faster.

This X2. My wife usually does the marking with a 16" measuring stick and a lumber crayon. If I am by myself, or is she is busy loading, I will either pre-mark using the same method or use the sharpie mark on my bar depending on the situation.

I have the 16 inch mark scratched onto my bar. I just hold the start of the bar at the end of the log, and look at where the 16 inch mark is, I can keep all my cuts between 15 1/2 and 16 1/2 inches no problem.
However I recently got a haul off of craigslist. The big white oak had already been cut into 10 and 12 foot lengths. Premium white oak with no rot.
I didn't want to waste a single cubic centimeter of this fine wood. I got out the calculator and figured I needed 15 1/2 inches per stick.
I always carry a tape measure with me I am a carpenter. I just marked the trunk every 15 1/2 inches with an orange lumber crayon.
Lumber crayons are great for marking firewood, they last a long long time.

Reactions: neverbilly
I always use the mingo. Works great. So easy, fast, consistent. No jacking around with turning the saw or making little saw marks revenge the engine.

I used to hold a 16” stick in my trigger hand to measure each round.

I have the mingo too. The big plus is speed. You can mark as fast as you can run!

Reactions: awicherr
I cut 16” for my barn stove and 18” for the house stove. So I just take a sharpie and mark my bar at these two lengths. Works perfectly.

Reactions: MoDoug
My stove takes 22" logs, I cut mostly at 20 or 19" I use a sharpie and marked the lengths on my chain saw, but this gets old after a while. There's a hole built into the chain bar, a few inches from the tip, and I use that hole to attach a piece of 19" PVC to the bar. I hammered a nut into one end, and using a bolt that fits through the bar hole, I attach it to the bar. I have a few marks on it for different lengths. So far this is a prototype, I've used it once, and the bolt wants to vibrate loose, so now I'm going to try it with a lock washer. It's reasonably quick to put on and take off.

I like the idea of the magnet, but it just seems to me like it would be prone to vibrate around and maybe hit the chain while it's running.

Measeure 1.JPG Measeure 2.JPG

Last edited:
I’m not keen on the idea of something hanging off the side of my saw. I often cut up to finish a cut after I’ve rolled a log. This puts the tip in the wood. I’m also in big rounds at times that eats the whole bar up so can’t have anything hanging off the bar. And really a +\- of an inch is no big deal. After years of cutting I can pretty much hit the 16-18 mark just by site. I still measure with my sharpie marks now and again to keep my eyes calibrated.