Log splitter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now a pic of that... ;lol

Nothing, 28 ton of splitting force overcomes friction quite easily.;lol

Reactions: Beardog
Jim "Beam" oil, usually nothing.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks for the replies. I haven't been putting anything on the face of the beam just dribbling some on the sides for the wedge to ride on. Seems to be working fine

207.JPG

Been using this old splitter for about 30+ years, never lubed the beam that I can remember.

Brother you should call that thing Frankenstein! Hahaha I hope mine lasts 30 years. I'm the only one who uses it so far, so I'm holding out hope

Hahaha I hope mine lasts 30 years. I'm the only one who uses it so far, so I'm holding out hope

My dad picked this thing up from somebody he knew years ago. That old Wisconsin motor purrs right along. I've threatened to put a Kubota diesel on it and a lift arm. He's not letting it happen yet....

On edit: We put put a new cylinder on it a couple years ago. The old one leaked around the shaft pretty badly for years and years, so I guess it did get a little lube on the beam.

I've used grease or oil in the past. Makes me ill when I get grease on me which always happens. I guess I'll just stick with cheap oil. I find if I use nuthin like I like too, the slider below the wedge gets rattley noisey which is annoying when I'm trying to listen to my Peltor work tune FM ear muffs.==c

Just a quick update, it was kinda warm here today (up to high 30s maybe) so I figured since I'm laid off I'd get my butt outside and split some rounds I scrounged over the last few weeks. I had the splitter under a tarp as usual and I rolled it to the pile I was going to split. I figured as cold as its been, WC in the negatives and hasn't been above freezing in about a week, it might take a few pulls to get it started. First pull, she fired :) That Honda engine is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.