Log splitter recommendation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tron

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2020
Jackson MS
All,

I've seen a few threads about which log splitter to buy, but they all are a few years old.
So to pull the topic up: If I were to buy a powerful gas-powered splitter, is the Champion 27-ton splitter still a good choice?

I heard that one should not go to small, power-wise, as to achieve short cycles. The Champion has a 224cc engine and a cycle time of 11s:

Or are there others that should be considered? Especially if one maybe wants to use a 4-way wedge?

Thanks!

It depends on how big of rounds you intend to split. I am a big fan of the Predator from HF. I've had one for 5 seasons:

I like the Predator because it splits both directions (do not need to retract the cylinder) so it is super fast. I rarely split anything over 20" so don't need a machine capable of vertical splitting.

Reactions: Gearhead660
It depends on how big of rounds you intend to split. I am a big fan of the Predator from HF. I've had one for 5 seasons:

I like the Predator because it splits both directions (do not need to retract the cylinder) so it is super fast. I rarely split anything over 20" so don't need a machine capable of vertical splitting.
Been looking at this one...anything you dont like about it?

It depends on what you plan to split(species, diameter, etc), where you split, how much wood, what features you want.

Been looking at this one...anything you dont like about it?

I had to customize the hydraulic lever so it is taller and angled more toward me (I am 6'-2"). I just used a piece of steel tubing over the factory handle and bent it so it is comfortable. This is so I didn't have to lean over to operate it. Other than that nothing comes to mind. It's been a good splitter...I would buy one again.

Our woods are mostly pine, with some hardwoods thrown in. Right now there's a pile from a big pine (~36" max. diameter) waiting to be split, but they are already half-rounds (because way to heavy to lift whole). And I usually only harvest a few trees every year, mostly dead pines, so it won't run thousands of hours a year...

Features are, I guess, what everyone wants: fast, reliable, able to split vertical...not much else.
I think the Predator cannot split vertical.

Our woods are mostly pine, with some hardwoods thrown in. Right now there's a pile from a big pine (~36" max. diameter) waiting to be split, but they are already half-rounds (because way to heavy to lift whole). And I usually only harvest a few trees every year, mostly dead pines, so it won't run thousands of hours a year...

Features are, I guess, what everyone wants: fast, reliable, able to split vertical...not much else.
I think the Predator cannot split vertical.

Correct, no vertical on the Predator. The auto return feature on the Champion seems like a good idea for speed.

Buddy got a champion, real happy with it. Likes it better than the countyline it replaced that had a Kohler. Good company, stand behind their equipment.

All,

I've seen a few threads about which log splitter to buy, but they all are a few years old.
So to pull the topic up: If I were to buy a powerful gas-powered splitter, is the Champion 27-ton splitter still a good choice?

I heard that one should not go to small, power-wise, as to achieve short cycles. The Champion has a 224cc engine and a cycle time of 11s:

Or are there others that should be considered? Especially if one maybe wants to use a 4-way wedge?

Thanks!

This is the splitter I own, purchased from Home Depot last year when I moved into my current house and began hoarding wood here. Price was good (even better after using the HD credit card to get it) and got a further discount since it was the last unit in stock. It was fully assembled, just very minor rust in spots (was sitting out in the garden center, had no idea how long it was there before I got it hence getting them to drop the price a bit more). My original purchase plan was to buy the Champion 25 ton at Farm and Fleet but I always missed their $200 off sale and it was always sold out anyways.

Performance wise, the 27 ton splitter has been a beast! Anything I have thrown at it it has dealt with just fine. Knotty pieces, monster rounds over 40" in diameter, elm. I would highly recommend the Champion line of splitters to anyone. As for which size unit to buy, it will depend on what you want to split. Many cords of wood per year and monster pieces, I would go with 25 tons and up. If just needing some splitting power for an occasional crap piece, honestly probably wouldn't waste my time with a big full size gas hydraulic splitter.

I would research other brands too. Dirty Hand Tools had an unbeatable price on their gas splitters but the company is no more as far as I know. You probably don't have a Menards in your part of the country, but they carry the Brute brand (maybe can be shipped?). To me it looks like a Champion clone so I couldn't tell you how good/bad it performs. They are a great price if you can take advantage of the Menards 11% rebates. Yardmax is another brand Home Depot carries/carried. Haven't seen it in stock in forever and it was a sub $1000 splitter so certainly was budget friendly.

Good luck on your search!

Good luck on your search!

Thanks!
Incidentally, I went out last night and got myself one of the Champion 27-ton splitters. I think they might have been cheaper in the past, but $1100 is ok if it performs well. They had two in crates and one set up (all of them outdoors), so as you said I didn't know how long that set-up one had been out there and so went with a crated unit. Just have to assemble it today.

But good to hear that you have a good experience with yours.

Tron, I have a Champion 25 ton splitter. Over two years now. It has worked fine for me. I only use E-free gasoline in my small engines (splitter, mower, chainsaws, trimmers etc) .
Champion's customer service has been great for me. Not so much when you try to reach them by telephone...I have waited and waited and waited for some one to answer. But when I used their online form for issues I have received very prompt replies. I had an issue with the control valve leaking oil out one end. I figures it was a bad o-ring inside. I filled out form and sent a few pictures. In two days I had a new control valve at my house, covered by the warranty.
Hope this gives you a little post-purchase good feeling.

• Love
Reactions: Tron
Can't remember the exact make of the splitter I have now . . . but I know it was built by Oregon and was a spin off of its line of splitters. So far I've been very happy with it and consider it an upgrade over my old MTD splitter. It came with a better engine, conversion to vertical splitting mode is easier and it has a full beam vs. half beam.

All,

Thanks!

Attachments

• f122480$01-fiskars-x25-kloofbijl-v2015-f122480-01.jpg
    f122480$01-fiskars-x25-kloofbijl-v2015-f122480-01.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 182
I have the $899 Tractor Supply Countryline special. It handles my beech up to 20" and the cycle time is fine. It can go horizontal or vertical but I never plan to split vertical.

I'd sure like one of those twisted wedges!
My twisted wedge is Aluminum and thus rather safe when hitting it with a steel hammer.
Works well, but when one has 20+ rounds lying around and needs 5+ serious blows with the 10-pound hammer just to split one of them in two, plus 10+ heavy blows with the axe to get down to splits, one tends to lose the fun in wood splitting...

My twisted wedge is Aluminum and thus rather safe when hitting it with a steel hammer.
Works well, but when one has 20+ rounds lying around and needs 5+ serious blows with the 10-pound hammer just to split one of them in two, plus 10+ heavy blows with the axe to get down to splits, one tends to lose the fun in wood splitting...
Unless one likes muscles and exercises in mental toughness! Argh!

Interesting question to y'all that have a log splitter:
At least on mine, the wedge sits on a slider that slides along the beam, hooking into grooves in the beam for guidance. I suppose that is the same on all splitters.

Now those grooves are greased to allow for a smooth motion of the wedge. As they are on the top of the beam, I suppose that they might easily get their fair share of wood splinters and sawdust. How often do you clean and re-grease those grooves? My manual does not mention this...

Thanks!

At least on mine, the wedge sits on a slider that slides along the beam, hooking into grooves in the beam for guidance. I suppose that is the same on all splitters.

Now those grooves are greased to allow for a smooth motion of the wedge. As they are on the top of the beam, I suppose that they might easily get their fair share of wood splinters and sawdust. How often do you clean and re-grease those grooves? My manual does not mention this...

Thanks!
Never,not required

Thanks!

That area does see it's fair share of debris after a good splitting session but I only bother "cleaning" it if there's some wood debris wedged in there that may impede the movement of the wedge.

Good to know. Maybe the grease needed is not as excessive as it is out-of-the-box and the excess will just eventually be soaked up by wood splinters and such.

10 years on my used to me splitter...
never grease the beam,never clean the beam.
I am sure that i will never wear out the beam,the last owner tried but never so much as caused any wear on it befor i got it.It's probably 30 + years old,on it's second engine.
Remember that a wood splitter is a basic piece of equipment,look after the engine and it will last for years