1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Log splitter - rental vs purchase

Post in 'The Gear' started by BrianK, Mar 22, 2012.

1. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    LOL, said the same thing to myself, didnt that guy ever hear of a milk crate?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Own a splitter and you'll always have plenty of friends and happy neighbors. ;) :)
  3. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    firefighterjake +1.
    Purchased my splitter (see signature) three years ago and enjoy the freedom to split when and where I want. Had to extend myself financially to make the purchase but "Buyer's Remorse" has never entered my mind. ;)

Edit on 3/28/2012: Farmer friend called me at 2:00 PM yesterday and asked if I could bring my splitter and help him split about 2.5 cords of rounds.Rain was predicted for today so we had to complete the job yesterday. Started splitting at 2:30 and finished at 6:45. We worked our butts off but enjoyed the working together. That kind of immediate response is not possible if one has to rent a splitter.:)
  4. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    The best purchase I've made in the last 5 years is my wood fired boiler....2nd best is my hydrualic spltter :)
  5. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Au contraire, most everyone here who has more than a handful of posts to his credit speaks in terms of CORDS and means a full, legal, cord. Those that don't, at least clarify by using the term FACE CORD though FACE CORD has no true, defined value. I think many people talk in Face cords as an ego boosting numbers inflater. Or a numbers boosting ego inflater.
  6. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    As to the original question, I debated this last summer. I had a bunch of wood bucked up ready to be split. Couldn't hardly face it in our 105 degree (and up) heat. I considered renting. A couple of days would have cost me about $150. But I found a new, absolutely unused, Huskee 35 that had been in storage for six or seven years. Had never had a drop of gasoline in the tank! $1000. I couldn't pass that up. I sold three items on eBay that netted me over a thousand bucks. I had the room to store it so that was not an issue. I like the convenience of being able to pull it out anytime I want, rather than waiting to split until I have enough to justify a rental. I reckon I can keep it for several years and sell it for more than I paid for it.