Log splitter tune up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I rarely come into this area of the site but I have a question about my log splitter. Is it difficult to change out the hydraulic fluid and filter them? I have a Husky from Tractor Supply and have never changed out the fluid. I inherited it from my dad and I'm not sure he ever did either. We do about 5-8 cord a year with it. Those things sure do take a beating although I had to have a friend reforge the wedge cause I broke it with a tough piece of White Ash and once they start to give it doesn't stop. What my friend did with it, some of you out there may want to do this, you know how wedge it hollow on top? He welded a peice over the whole top so it can't give anymore. Seems to work great and no more chips and dirt getting down into hollow area either:). If changing the fluid is too much work I'll have it done, but I hate spending money on something I try to do to save money.

Not hard at all, you just have to bleed it after changing the filter and the fluid. I know that TSC sells the fluid, I have bought it before, not sure about the filter, I had to get mine from NAPA. The user guide that came with the splitter should walk you through the process.

most of the filters spin on / off just like a car. The oil res should have a drain plug. If you have changed your own cars oil, this should be no problem. If you don't then you may want to have someone do this one for you. Be sure to figure out where to recycle the oil. Best of luck.

I don't think you need to change the hydraulic fluid unless it is visibly contaminated. I'd just change the filter.

I also would not change the hydraulic fluid unless there was a reason to do so. If it is a light golden translucent color it is still good. If it is dark (dirt or burned) or milky (contaminated) then by all means change it. Mine is over five years old and does about the same 5-8 cords a year. I change the engine oil and hydraulic filter every year and this year changed the spark plug , air filter, and gave the carb a good cleaning as the Briggs started acting up.

Here is a cross-reference information from speeco on the hydraulic filter. The hydraulic filters at TSC are about $15, and you can do better elsewhere.

Filter #s

Fram 1653A
Napa 1553
Cross 1A9023
Baldwin BT839
Wicks 51553

Kd460, here are some crossover part#s for a replacement filter for your Speeco splitter. To answer your other question, yes hydraulic fluid will pour out when you unscrew the filter. You can drain the entire tank first in to a clean container and then re-use the oil or you can put a container under the filter and then change the filter quickly. The fluid caught by the container can then be poured back in to the unit.

If you have any questions, you can call us here at Speeco@ 800-525-8322

Thanks

Kevin from SpeeCo.

Good luck with your splitter, I personally go with the quick change route.

5 or so year into the 22 ton husky I changed the filter...it just keeps going...

Status
Not open for further replies.