1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Long Island Firewood / Brookhaven Township

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle, Jun 24, 2012.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Thanks flatbed. I was not going to look up CL my self but what you said is just what i was looking for. I honestly dont know what it would sell for around here? I think its in the $65-100 range for an 8ft bed loaded to the rails of oak so i guess ours is in the $200 range for a cord? Again i dont look and dont buy firewood.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I've bought wood advertised at $100 a cord (sopping wet when I was desperate, hence my never be woodless again tag). I've gotten semi decent wood for $100 a cord (one of the guys mentioned), but it's odd, weird sizes, some need to be resplit, cut in half, etc (Dom will vouch for this guy), and he charges a delivery fee at this price, unless you buy 6 loads, depending upon area, the price of gas..yadda yadda yadda. Another is selling "uglies" for $100 or so a load (almost a cord, pretty damned close), he also sells "picture perfect" cords for $200, more depending upon area.

Cords out in the "Hamptons" can run $250 - $300+. depends an who you are I guess (is betting Alec Baldwin, Jimmy Buffet, & Paul McCartney pay a damned hefty price, but having their account wold be a pretty damned good deal !.)

Craigs list varies... oops, and thee's another local guy who has firewood & a phone number, who saved my butt during the winter from hell. He apologized to me for bringing firewood that was to dry, in February, for $150 a cord, when we were stopping at 7 - 11 to pick up a few bags to heat the house [​IMG]

To many variables, better to just give phone #'s and names and let people work it our for them selves [​IMG]
  3. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Posted this in another thread but these are representative Long Island Firewood prices near the Nassau/Suffolk border...

firewood.gif

"Seasoned" is debatable, mix of softwoods and hardwoods, and if you are more that a couple of miles from their yard they tack on a delivery charge.

Last year, during the season, you could pick up a load of 220 splits for $129. 220 splits is about a face cord (8' x 4' x 18"). The wood in their yard is in large piles. It is easier to count 220 splits than stack a face cord then load it.

KaptJaq
  4. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Where are they?
  5. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    He is in Dix Hills, Huntington township. At least he delivers what he advertises.

I read a lot of the Craigslist ADs and have a hard time believing them. One guy tonight will deliver a "full" cord for $120 (2 pallets) or a "Half cord" stacked on a pallet for $65. For a half cord to fit on a pallet, assume a standard 48" x 40" pallet, it would have to be stacked 6 feet high.

KaptJaq.
  6. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

I'm with ya on that sister. Last year was my first time ever depending on wood to heat my house. When I pulled the trigger and bought the wood boiler I knew I would need to get a head start so I started calling around. Found all types of prices and people. So prices high, some low, some people nice, some people jerks. Any way I found this really "nice" guy he was very polite and respectful he was very knowledgeable and professional. I wanted 24" long splits and he said no problem. $200 a full cord delivered and stacked. WEEELLLL.... when I got home he had almost all of it stacked and he was correct it was 24" and 2 full cord, BUUUUUTTTT it was soaking wet, I mean I think this stuff was cut and split the same day. That was the beginning of my journey find free (or relatively free) logs so I can cut split and stack my own and NEVER be woodless again!!!
  7. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    These guys I have access to are reasonable, true to their word, and pretty up front.

All in all, a good deal.
  8. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    Dixie will these guys deliver out to Sag Harbor area? My in laws are looking like your profile pic.
  9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    in ur area $100cord even for green sounds cheap? There must be 4-8 hours of work plus gas in a cord of wood depending upon several things! Even anything under $200 seems like a deal if your in an area or situation where you cant get all u want like me.
    gregbesia likes this.
  10. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Sending off a PM.
  11. freddypd

freddypd Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Hey there. I have my first wood insert on order and will be looking into buying my first supply of wood. My local nursery told me $200/cord.
  12. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Drive to brooklyn, they got lots after yesterday............................................
  13. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    When I first started burning wood you couldn't touch a cord of wood (sopping wet no doubt) for under $175, and it was always over $200 in the winter. Now you can find a number of dealers on Craig's List for less than $150/cord. For me, if I can get wood for less than $120/cord then it's worth it. The amount of time it takes for me to find a score, pick it up, drop it off at my house, split it- I still scrounge, but having the ability to buy wood for a reasonable price certainly takes the pressure off. Of course the trick is to buy next years wood this year. The past two years I've gotten wood for $100/cord.
  14. freddypd

freddypd Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    dafattkidd, Can you let me know who you use? Since I am so new to this I am hoping I can tell the difference between seasoned and not. I would love to find a reputable dealer.
  15. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Fred, that'd be the number I gave you in my PM. I got this guy from Dom :)
  16. Jack768

Jack768 Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    The East End is fantastic. I take the ferry out of there -- Orient Point -- a few times a year. Sadly it is not commutable to NYC where I work. But it's a beautiful place to live.
  17. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    The guys name is John. He's a good guy and sends honest cords. The last 2 cords I got from him were pretty dry (not quite burnable but better than expected). The wood is all hardwood but half or so are shorter than I like. But at his prices I take it with no complaints. Tell him you got the number from Dominick in Sound Beach and Eileen in Manorville. He knows both of us.
  18. Jack768

Jack768 Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    I use a guy in Glen Cove who has always delivered genuinely seasoned c/s/d wood, if any of you are near there.
  19. freddypd

freddypd Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I just ordered 4 cords. $150/cord delivered. Seasoned 1.5 years. He did say it was chunkwood. Hope I can stack chunkwood.

Thanks for the number Dixie
  20. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Cool. You're most welcome.

His firewood looks like this. Back right & right front.
    wood 2012 3 murph.jpg
  21. gurthang

gurthang New Member

Hi All -

New to home ownership, new to fireplaces, new to this forum, and looking for reputable sources of firewood in Suffolk County. Any names you can drop would be helpful. I think I have this PM thing figured out so please reach out if you get a moment. Thanks in advance!
  22. freddypd

freddypd Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Dixie's guy cancelled out on me he said it would be out of his delivery range. I guess he likes to stay from the smithaven mall to the east. I just ordered from a guy in Port Jefferson. Wood was OK but I think he shorted me on the amount. I want to try another guy that my tree guy recommended.
  23. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    West of the mall is a haul from Manorville, sorry it didn't work out for you, Freddy.

Gurthang, I responded to your PM, but if your location is like Freddy's, I can't help you.

I'm changing the title of this (or getting a MOD to do it) to reflect the area more accurately. .

My deepest apologies if any one got misled from this thread.
  24. freddypd

freddypd Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Dixie. No harm no foul. Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted as to who works out the best.
  25. gurthang

gurthang New Member

Got it and replied. Thanks!