Long time wood burner-new stove blues- recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silver77

Aug 14, 2015
canada
New guy here-greetings all.

I have burned wood for over 40 years with dry birch...present home is 2000 sq. ' with stove in living room-mostly open concept; metal insulated chimney straight up through roof. House is tight and well insulated.

We have used a Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic for the past 17 years and it has kept us warm and toasty. We only fire up our wood boiler when it is -25F.

The PE has been a good stove although we have had the top re-welded 3 times due to excessive cracks around the flue hole. We were planning to replace the entire top and have it re-welded but thought our insurance company would have issues with a rebuilt stove.

So- we are looking at new stoves and there is a limited selection in town-

Regency F3100
Enerzone 2.9
or Pacific Energy Summit but the dealer did not help us out much with our problems and they have the worst warranty in the industry, from personal experience. Once bit, twice shy.

Any suggestions or advice on our situation would be greatly appreciated...kinda of ironic it's one of the hottest days of the year!

cheers!

Welcome. Sorry you have had issues though in part it sounds like maybe a dealer issue other than a mfg. issue. The Spectrum Classic has seen some improvements since the first models. It is a great stove with excellent burn times. My next door neighbor has one and loves it. So has the Summit improved nicely. Most Summit owners are very happy with their stoves. Your other choices are good too. I would add an Enviro Kodiak 1700 to the list. That is also an excellent Canadian stove.

I am wondering whether the issues with the Spectrum arose because it is a bit small for the area to heat and you may have pushed it a bit hard. Around the flue outlet is usually the hottest spot for most stoves and should be the first one to show the stress of an occasional overfire. Thus, I like the idea of looking for something larger than the Spectrum.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either of the models you are looking at. Try a forum search for more info. Next to those stoves you could also consider an Osburn 2400 or if you want to keep the cost down a Drolet Myriad. Another solid budget stove would be the Englander 30NC; I think in Canada sold under the Timber Ridge brand. Any chance there is a Jotul dealer not too far? The F600 and F55 are really well-liked here and Jotul stoves have a strong reputation for being well-built and reliable.

Good points-thanks!
I am checking with other PE dealers -nearest is 3-1/2 hrs away.
I'll also check out the Kodiak 1700.

I agree with you that the issues may have been that the Spectrum was undersized for the heating area...that is way I am thinking Summit...thanks!
I'll check on a Jotul dealer...and check your other suggestions...appreciate the feedback!

......wow, -25 Fahrenheit is getting pretty chilly. i'm a jotul fan having a old 602 and a f3 cb. rock solid and easy operating. i also have a summit. my only comment about that is it is particular about what you feed it. i've learned to give it nothing but fully seasoned wood. trying to give it wood before its time resulted in less robust burns and creosote. now, we get along great.

We usually get at least 1 to 2 weeks of -35 to -40F in January and February!
Summit would cost 3580. + tax
Regency F3100 and Enerzone 2.9 run about 2600. with the same bling package.
And there is a Jotul dealer in town...we see what they have-thanks for that.

Do American stove companies ship stoves to canada?

It depends on whether the stove is tested and certified to Canadian standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.