Longer heat times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I'm going to somewhat echo ckarotka's post re:learning the stove. I'm on a RE-learning curve this year.
These past 4 years have been a bit of a struggle to keep my stove from becoming a Nasa rocket blast. Discovered there was quite a large broken weld in the back of the stove.
Finally got it fixed this summer through a barter deal, and redid the stove room to boot. Redid the door and glass gaskets as well.
Now that the outside temps have gotten colder, the stove seems to have come alive and hit it's stride. Although I've done this a few other times in the past couple weeks, yesterday was a bit of a test.
We went for a daylong visit about 1.5 hrs. from home. I had a nice bed of coals (not too big, not too small ;-) ), put in 4 splits and got them going with the flue temp around 300, and the stove about 400. Closed the door well, kicked the air down to almost closed (no 2ndary), and we left for the day about 10:30. When we got home at 7:30, the stove was about 250 (still hot to the touch), the blower was doing it's on/off thing like it does near the end of a burn cycle. The house temp had dropped to about 63, outside temp was about 27 with a wind chill of "pretty darned cold" (didn't check that), and the stove still had enough coals to add a few splits and get the fire cranked up in just a minute or so.
I'm happier than a .....well, let's just say that if we'd done that last year, the stove would have gone ballistic, and we would have returned to a house temp in the upper 50's.
Sooooo, I stayed up til about midnite last night, and did a similar setup with the stove. Woke this morning about 6:30, and the house was still at 68, with upper 20's outside and a wind chill around 16.
I'm still having a small problem controlling the fire, but it's MUCH better than it has ever been. The thermometer on the stove hasn't gone past 700-725. In past years, it's pegged at over 800, and although it never started ANY glowing, that was WAY too hot for this small ranch house .
Some here were saying I should just get a new stove, and I agree, but it's not in the cards right now. The stove needs to get me through this year and next, then the new one is going in. If I can swing it before that, I will. Hell, I'd do it today if I could.
Just thought I'd share this newest episode in my ongoing saga. Thanks for watching, and sharing your thoughts. There's probably more, but my fingers are getting tired.

Sounds like you got her all figured out, good job. Something else that may help your older stove out is a pipe damper right above the stove exhaust collar.

Thanks Todd.
I have no illusions that I've got this completely right just yet, but I'm working on it.
This stove seems to only need the very slightest sliver of air to burn (once it gets going well), and I'd like to eliminate all the little spots where the air is getting in.
I think the glass gasket may be leaking in a couple spots, and the intake plate needs a little more gasket too.
Just about the time I get it all worked out, the new stove will be going in! :ahhh: It's been an interesting ride.

Glad to hear things are improving. So what's this dream stove gonna be?

Well, I've got it narrowed down to a Quad 4300 ST, 5700 ST, T5, Englander 30, Summit, Regency 2400,......you get the idea.
This stove is about 2.4 cu. ft. with the bricks in, and about 3 w/o. Good sized stove that can really crank, and in the dead of winter, I need the heat. Insulation is in my future too, which may change the stove need.
It just has to be more controllable than this one. And, burn longer. And, use less wood. I don't ask for much. :cheese:

Glad things are working out for you Dave. You've come a long ways since joining hearth.com and you'll go ever further. Good luck to you.

Did you get any snow yesterday?

Yeah Dennis, we went to visit a brother-in-law in E. Tawas yesterday, and on the way back it started to snow. Snowed a good portion of the night and all we ended up with was about 1/2". Partly sunny and 34 right now.
I still haven't put the plow on the tractor. Gotta' get on that, since the REAL snow should be arriving any time now.

I'm in love with the T-4 or t-5 not sure which would fit best for me. The look of those stoves, to me, is great. In a few years I'll be looking for a used one or something similar.

Dave, our snow plow sits calmly waiting in the barn. When we get snow, it goes on really fast. Two pins and a quick link and I'm ready to go. However, I do not expect much snow this year. Time will tell.

Dennis, I can put the plow on in a couple minutes. It's probably why it's not done yet.
You might want to check the forecast from Mr. Bastardi 'cause he's saying we're in for a kinda' nasty winter. So far though, it's been pretty mild.

Getting back to the stove, I replaced the glass gasket this afternoon,.....hoping for a good outcome. No place around here carries glass gasket, so I have to order online.
News at eleven, or maybe tomorrow.

Just a little update.
After replacing the glass gasket.....again, I'm still getting the three towers of stain on the glass. Air leaks. Soooo, I ordered glass gasket for an Englander 30.
The Englander site makes you input Serial #, and whatnot, so maybe they don't want to sell me a gasket or 2?! What's up with that, Mike? I don't have an Englander stove, but the gasket will work. I've looked at it on stoves in the Depot.
The stove is still doing pretty well. Woke this am at 7:30 to a house temp of 63, the stove at 225, and coals, after putting 5 splits in at 12:30.
WOW, no more getting up at 3:30-4:00 to refill. Last year, the stove would have been stone cold, and the house would have been about 58.

Attachments

• IMG_4787resize.jpg
    IMG_4787resize.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.