1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Look for the "pinhole" if Ash

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by PA. Woodsman, Jan 8, 2013.

1. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    I have said this many times in various posts trying to ID Ash, and as Bucks County just found out it seems to hold true, so I wanted to make a post about it so all could see. If you notice on Ash look at the cutside of a round, the flat side, and if the wood is Ash you will see a small "pinhole" in the center, at least all the Ash I've ever seen has had it. This is an easy way to ID Ash and just wanted to share it with you guys. I have not come across any other species that has this pinhole, but if you know of one please let me know.

I hope this helps someone....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Picture, picture, who's got the picture. All mine is split.
  3. HardWoodW

HardWoodW Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    In my area you can identify ash by the D shaped hole in the bark :(. I can never let ash sit for any time at all without splitting it because it's too fun to split
  4. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    This is the typical growth pattern of an Ash ???....excuse the writing, was trying to make points with the Wife....the yard was a disaster after this (still is<>)
    [​IMG]
  5. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I cut and burn tons of ash and have no clue what pin hole you are talking about but here in Michigan you can identify ash rather easily by the DEAD barklessness or all the suckers that have sprouted from the base and trunk as it did all it could to cling to life with the devil beatle munching away on it!! Pics of the pin hole would be worth 1000 words
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    How did that work out for you? I might need to walk around the yard for similar growth patterns if it worked...
  7. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    [​IMG]
  8. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Beer Belly - the bark looks like Ash, the white wood looks like Ash. The dark center of the close trunk could be disease or some other problem with the tree. The heart shape is not characteristic of Ash, but not really characteristic of any tree. That is, any tree could have a heart shaped cross section but none does regularly, so the heart shape doesn't tell you anything. The multiple trunks is common for Ash that grow in the open.
  9. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I think the OP is trying to suggest that Ash can be identified by a pinhole in the center, not saying that Emerald Ash Borer causes the pinhole.

TE
    PA. Woodsman likes this.
  10. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I think PA Woodsman is trying to say that you can identify Ash by it having Pith. All I remember of this growth characteristic is that its not exclusive of Ash. If Ash even has pith. I have green and white Ash here and I identify the trees by their seeds.
    I think Walnut has characteristic pith but never really paid attention to it.
    The heart shaped trunk was due to injury to the tree. In my case its usually a lawnmower deck.
  11. oldspark

oldspark Guest

For the hundreth time that is Green Ash that has the dark center, I cut it here all the time.
    Thistle, nrford and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    THANK YOU BLUJACKET!!! Now listen up class....look at this picture, go down to the bottom right of your screen and you see where it says 100%, click on that until it says 150%, click on the picture then look at this picture again and you will see what looks like a small "pinhole" on the flat cut-side of this round of Ash inside the rings-THAT'S what I'm talking about!! I don't see this on any other wood than Ash but if I'm wrong and you know of any I'd like to know! All the Ash that I've ever had has this pinhole on it.

Do we all understand now? ;?;lol
  13. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, I see that pinhole in White Ash quite often...
  14. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Didn't last long....I even added our dog's name for a little bit more "cuteness"
  15. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    Sorry to say but even White Ash will have brown heartwood at times, although it is usually not nearly as much as Green Ash has. Additionally all trees will have pith center!
  16. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    And Walnuts & Butternut has chambered pith,not solid like other trees.
  17. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    wow! zoom it up to 400 and you can really see the pin hole.
  18. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think I see Waldo if I zoom out . . . ;)
  19. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Good one!