Look Out Northeast Here It Comes Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
colebrookman said:
It's great to be prepared. It seems like a lost art to be able to take care of your family without relying on others. Maybe more on this forum are ready than anywhere else, I hope. Be safe.
Ed

Feels good to be the hero--I just came in from sweeping the snow off the satilite dish so we can get back to watching TV.
LOL to you

We've been in the bullseye of these stomrs all year, almost 3 feet of snow on the ground right now. Wish I had a wood shed, tarps dont work too well with all this snow.

weatherguy said:
We've been in the bullseye of these stomrs all year, almost 3 feet of snow on the ground right now. Wish I had a wood shed, tarps dont work too well with all this snow.

I hear that!

and this was taken before another 8" of snow fell!

Attachments

• IMG_20110122_091623.jpg
    IMG_20110122_091623.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 207
After that mess last year I built a wood shed right behind the garage and a walkway to it. Glad I did. The generators are in one end of it. We just finished up another two inches falling on top of the other stuff.

I got so sick of digging out to those wood piles and the genny shed last year I couldn't stand it. And then having to hoist the EPDM cover over the wood with all that snow on it. >:-(

This year I walk out there with a cup of coffee and grab a couple of splits.

"This year I walk out there with a cup of coffee and grab a couple of splits. "

I take the choco lab out with me, load up the porch, then we play fetch for a while. On the way back in the house, I grab a few splits.
Tarps don't cut it 'round here no mo'.

Was just outside downsizing a few of my bigger splits . It's nearly forty and things they are a meltin'. I can actually see portions of my roof. It was so "nice" out I went for a 1 hour walk round the neighborhood. Broke the cabin fever a bit. More snow tomorrow I hear though.

-PB- said:
BrotherBart said:
As to the thunder snow mentioned, saw it for the first time last night. Thunder and lightning and snow coming down like crazy. Had always heard of it but...

lightning in a snowstorm is definately cool. I got to see it while driving past plenty of morons on I270 try do get uphill withot 4wd through 10 inches of snow. I saw Rt66 and I495 were just as bad in VA

I lived in Loudoun and commuted to WDC daily. 45 years and consider it home. Now that I am up in NJ, I must say that any snow event in the WDC area and it's crazy. We've heard from our friends and neighbors down there that said it took them 6 hours to go from tysons to ashburn. Just too many cars on the roads, too many roads, and VDOT can't keep up with the storms.

Up here, regardless of how much we get, the street is cleaned to bare asphalt in no time at all. Storm ended around 3am - and before 6am my streets were clear. People know how to deal with it and drive in it. It's amazing the difference. My kids don't like it much - as they rarely get a snow day. The dumping we just got would have closed VA schools for atleast 2 days or more. My son had a 2 hour delay. Oh the disappointment on his face...... priceless.

Talked to my Mom up in Maine a few days ago and they haven't gotten hardly anything this year. Almost can't ride snowmobile even.

I got called to work right as the "thunder snow" started. That was some of the heaviest snow i've ever driven in. Im talkin visibility down to 50ft or so. Tryin to plow and keep up at the rate it was comin down was a lost cause. I just kept makin passes up and down the main drags to keep em somewhat open.

BrotherBart said:
After that mess last year I built a wood shed right behind the garage and a walkway to it. Glad I did. The generators are in one end of it. We just finished up another two inches falling on top of the other stuff.

I got so sick of digging out to those wood piles and the genny shed last year I couldn't stand it. And then having to hoist the EPDM cover over the wood with all that snow on it. >:-(

BB, got any pics of that set-up?

Talked to my Mom up in Maine a few days ago and they haven’t gotten hardly anything this year. Almost can’t ride snowmobile even.

The storms have been hitting southern new england this year, Vermont, New Hampshire and some parts of Maine have done alright but its bass ackwards this year

-PB- said:
BrotherBart said:

BB, got any pics of that set-up?

I keep trying to remember to take some when the batteries are good in the camera and forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.