looking at generators...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like my generator and the subaru engine works great, I haven't heard anything bad here or other places about them.
I got my generator at HD in oct and it ran 5 days straight during the ice storm.

rowerwet said:
I like my generator and the subaru engine works great, I haven't heard anything bad here or other places about them.
I got my generator at HD in oct and it ran 5 days straight during the ice storm.

They are great engines, not sure though on the price of those things.....twice the price of most generators. I had no idea HD carried those, seems like a product you would find at a speciality store. Which model do you have?

My fault should have read more, Homelite generator got it....The subaru robin brand generators are $$$$

amick780 said:
rowerwet said:

They are great engines, not sure though on the price of those things.....twice the price of most generators. I had no idea HD carried those, seems like a product you would find at a speciality store. Which model do you have?

My fault should have read more, Homelite generator got it....The subaru robin brand generators are $$$$

Yeah they are, but if it's a DC currant with a inverter to AC it will use less fuel by varying RPM to demand instead of running at 3600 RPM's all time. Also less noise on lower demand as well, and it was designed for running electronics. If I was not in a pickle last winter I would halved bought one even if it was a smaller compared to my Briggs and cost 200.00/400.00 more.

Our local Sams Club has a nice Generac with a Honda engine. I think it is rated at around 8000 (yea I knew all the stats but forgot em, dumb dementia whatever) $900 but it would run everything in your house if you are careful. Myself I use a 3500 which cost me $800 10 years ago at Sears and just plug things in. Remember, when shopping gennys the devil is in the startup load, not the running load. Some things like refrigerators, furnaces and things with big motors draw nearly double the juce for that instant when they start up. That's where you can get messed up, especially with things that come on as needed unanounced when something else is running.

This is a decent Buy, best Gen you'll ever own in my opinion.This is year 3 for us, bought it used,no idea how many hours on it,we've put approx 1000 hours/summer at the lake x3, guessin its got 4000 hours on it.Uses no Oil,starts first pull,Great Gens, will buy another one when this is Dead.
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/1456064897.html

amick780 said:
rowerwet said:

the generator cost $459 IIRC, it seems to vary the speed based on load, I was able to make the 4 gal tank that is only rated for 8 hr at 75% to last almost 12 (actually never let it run out, just filled it then). I have seen some at HD with the Husky name and the subaru engine since then. I had it outside my bedroom window and slept fine, it makes about as much noise as when the neighbor across the street is mowing his lawn.
what ever you do keep the generator away from the house, enough people get a ride in an ambulance from CO poisioning each year, and fire, had a neighbor who now has a new house because his autostart generator blew up on start-up and burned the house down.

Status
Not open for further replies.