Looking for a 2 cubic wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have decided this year to change my heat source for my home since I am able to get a cord of ash for $150.00.
Here is the situation. I have a very well insulated house. The house is insulated with 3 inches of icynene foam in all walls (including basement) and the ceiling. The house is 36 feet by 16 feet plus 14 feet by 6 feet. The basement is fully finished giving me a total living space of 1320 square feet. The ceiling are 8 feet in the basement and the start at 7 feet on the first floor and finish a 9 feet tall. (cathedral ceiling). The longest part of the house is facing full south so I have heat gain in the winter. The stove is located in the basement almost in the middle of the house.
At the present time I have a 1.25 cubf stove. I was told that to get a possible all night burn (8 hours) that I need
a 2 cubf stove. I need some suggestions.......Thanks for the help.

Slightly larger than 2.0, but you might want to review the PE (pacific energy) Super 27. For one of the smaller stoves it is reported to have long burn times. The Woodstock Fireview might also be a fit. Do you have a "style" of stove you are interested in? Cast, steel, soap stone - cat/non cat?

At this point can we assume that you have a properly installed 6" stove pipe to work with?

Lopi Republic 1750 is just a tick over 2 CU FT. I can get an all night burn from a full load of seasoned hardwood. Seasoned pine...eehhh...not quite but there will be enough coals left for an AM restart on a full load of it. Overnight burn=load around 9pm and reload/restart at 6am with the house still warm.

Whatcha looking for looks wise, hearth pad requirement wise, loading (top, side, front), cat or tube (or hybrid), clearance wise....

Last edited:
You can also look into the sirocco/chinnok 20 lines they would get you around 12 hours burn time per load and are slightly under 2cuft.

yes there is a 6 inches insulated pipe going from the basement to the roof. The length of the pipe is around 20 feet.
I will post some pictures in the days to come of the setup

I think you might want to also look at some of the threads that give some tips for circulating the heat from the basement up to the main floor.

Many people here enjoy the pacific energy super 27 stoves including me! I can load my stove with Larch (softwood) at 11pm and have coals in the morning for a reload. PE is known for long burn times for non cat burning. If you are looking for even longer burn times you will want to go with a cat stove or a bigger fire box.

The Pacific Energy 2 cu ft Super Series stoves use a linked primary and secondary air control, which gives great control and helps to extends the burn. I have reloaded my Spectrum with enough coals that I needed no kindling after 16+ hours. That was stuffed full of big white ash splits, and not touching it all day. Didn't need a lot of heat, but I would expect eight hours to be pretty easy in the winter.

Since it is in the basement, I guess hearth requirememts aren't an issue? I know the PEs and Blaze Kings only require a non-combustible surface, but the Woodstocks need a hearth with some R-value.

I have reloaded my Spectrum with enough coals that I needed no kindling after 16+ hours
I wish I could get those burn times Jeff. Insert hardwood envy here! Its good to know those times are possible with our stoves. My Larch is an amazing and coveted softwood but since my yard is full of it Im on the prowl for some hardwoods which is hard to find around here. I have a small amount of Apple and Cherry for next winter and a small stash of dry paper Birch which is for Christmas.

I would suggest you consider a catalytic stove (Woodstock, Blaze King, Buck, etc.). That should give you longer burn times with a bit more control of heat output, so you are less likely to overheat your well-insulated space.

I wish I could get those burn times Jeff. Insert hardwood envy here! Its good to know those times are possible with our stoves. My Larch is an amazing and coveted softwood but since my yard is full of it Im on the prowl for some hardwoods which is hard to find around here. I have a small amount of Apple and Cherry for next winter and a small stash of dry paper Birch which is for Christmas.

I should point out that it was a bit of a unique situation. I had a cold (50s) house and similar outside temps. The full load, and 2-3 hours of 600° stove, was just right. The rest was just maintaining temp, and the stove was barely warm when I reloaded.

For a well insulated, smallish house, I'd also be looking at a cat stove.

I have decided this year to change my heat source for my home since I am able to get a cord of ash for $150.00.
Here is the situation. I have a very well insulated house. The house is insulated with 3 inches of icynene foam in all walls (including basement) and the ceiling. The house is 36 feet by 16 feet plus 14 feet by 6 feet. The basement is fully finished giving me a total living space of 1320 square feet. The ceiling are 8 feet in the basement and the start at 7 feet on the first floor and finish a 9 feet tall. (cathedral ceiling). The longest part of the house is facing full south so I have heat gain in the winter. The stove is located in the basement almost in the middle of the house.
At the present time I have a 1.25 cubf stove. I was told that to get a possible all night burn (8 hours) that I need
a 2 cubf stove. I need some suggestions.......Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum DamienBricka.

For sure a small firebox of 1.25 cu ft is difficult to get long burn times. 2 cu ft and above should do the trick and there are many that would no doubt suit you. We like the Woodstock Fireview with the 2.2 cu ft firebox and have no problem with overnight burns. With the sq footage of your home that should be enough of a stove to heat it. However, many find that heating from the basement is difficult. That is, getting the heat upstairs can be a trial for sure. It would seem not as heat does rise but usually there is just a stairway and that is a small hole to put heat up through. Many do have good luck aiming a fan at the top of the stairway and blowing it down. For this a small fan usually works best. Either a desktop fan or a box fan sitting on the floor. It is important to blow the cool air into the warmer air as this will give much better air circulation.

W-oodstock sells direct only but are tops in customer service. They also give an automatic- six month guarantee on the stove. If it isn't fitting the bill, you get your money back or can put it toward a larger Woodstock stove. www.woodstove.com or 800-866-4344 extension 2. They are friendly people but not pushy and their customer service is second to none.

Was your small stove heating the house ok, or are you using some other heat source to pick up the slack?

The reason we ask is concern that a larger stove may not solve all your heating needs if that heat will not move up to the main floor. Hate to see you spend the money for a new stove to find out that your freezing upstairs and have to spend money on supplemental heat in that area that you have not budgeted for.

Assuming that your current stove is doing a good job, just does not hold enough wood, I would of course be looking for a Blaze King, they have several different looking models now that should fit your needs.

chiming in here as a newbie so not a ton of experience yet, but I installed a Drolet Escape 1800 with 2.3 cu ft firebox and after a bunch of trial and error have learned how to get it burning right. I load it about 1/2 to 3/4 full(ash) at 10:30 and have enough coals to start another fire in the morning if I use small pieces of kindling to liven it up first. Easy drafting stove and only 1 control to worry about so its pretty straightforward. We love it so far and it isn't an expensive one to buy but you do have to let it get real hot(600+) stove top before turning on the fan unit to get the max heat out of it it seems.

Woodstock Fireview, Pacific Energy Spectrum or Alderlea T5, Buck Model 20, BlazeKing Sirocco 20.

So many choices. Makes my head spin. I have come to the the conclusion that a catalytic stove is better. But since I am a newbie maybe I am way of course.
All I know is that from my heat loss calculation I need no more then a 25000 BTU/H when it is -30F outside with inside temperature of 70F.
The stove that I have now heats the house very well. My only concern at this point is to have enough heat at night for around 8 hours when i AM SLEEPING.

Sounds like the Woodstock Keystone would do the job then or the BlazeKing Sirocco 20.

The problem with the Woodstock Keystone is that it needs a 7 inch pipe mine is only 6 inches

The problem with the Woodstock Keystone is that it needs a 7 inch pipe mine is only 6 inches

Damien, do not forget that the Fireview is a bit larger stove than the Keystone which will usually give you a little bit longer burn time. However, many are very happy with the Keystone so fear not.

Status
Not open for further replies.