Looking for a freestanding unit that looks good after years of burning and...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midalake

Aug 22, 2010
UP of MI
Hi I have been out of the wood burning game for sometime. I am looking for a freestanding unit that looks good after several years of burning. So many units I see in homes do not look good after some time. The unit I am looking for must also be rated for at least 2000sqft. Also must be a good working stove!!!! No lemons.

Thanks Dave

This is our Hearthstone Equinox. We are very pleased and we think it should be one for you to consider.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC05093.jpg
    DSC05093.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC04912.jpg
    DSC04912.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 335
Do yu have a chimney and what size flue?
Most (all) high quality stoves will look good for their lifetime!
What kind of "look" do yu like in a wood burner?
Any money limitians?
House well insulated?

Welcome Dave. The good news is that there are many different stoves to choose from, but we'll need to narrow down the list. It would help if you could give us some idea of what you like. There are a lot of stoves on display at www.chimneysweep.com. Take a look and tell us what style of stove suits your fancy.

The second part of the puzzle will be the size of the stove. That is going to depend on a certain extent on the floor plan of the house and where it is going to be located. Please fill in the details.

I will be putting this stove into new construction. It will have its own chimney. House will be about 2400sqft, and will be put into the great room. I would rather have a larger stove and run it a little cooler than get a small stove and run it full blast. Price is not too much of an option, really more concerned about looks of the stove after a few years of use [I do plan on using it] and ease of operation and clean-up. Also I am thinking of putting in a dumb waiter...woodwaiter? To get the wood from the walk out basement to the main floor. Does anyone have one of these wood lifts and how do you like it?

Dave

Jotul 500 / 600 or PE Alderlea T-5 / T-6

If new construction, can you post a floorplan? That would be a great help. We need to see where the stove is located in relation to the rest of the house. Sometimes a big stove in a great room works out fine. But in some cases the heat gets trapped and stays in the great room due to it being separate from the rest of the house. If it has a cathedral ceiling, the heat can get trapped up there and not circulate to the rest of the house.

One thing I would seriously consider in new construction is putting in a masonry stove. It can be a visual focal point and a room divider that gently radiates heat all day long. The closest thing to this in a free-standing stove would be the big Hearthstone Equinox stove. However, if the house is very well insulated and has triple pane glass, then the Hearthstone Mansfield may suffice.

Do you have the heat loss calculations for the heating system? What size furnace/boiler is going in? That will help determine the size of the stove. If you have a visual style that you like, that would also help. There are lots of big stoves to choose from.

I am unable to post the floor plan. I have made the decision not to go with any type of masonry fireplace work. I am putting those costs into other parts of the home and I want to stay with changing technology of freestanding stoves.. The home will be a log hybrid. The first floor will be full log construction 18-20" logs with a stick built loft and truss construction roof. We will have a moderate amount of glass in the house, no figures yet on heat loss but we will be highly insulated on top, and have an ICF basement with insulated slab. We will have a stacked kitchen / living room in the center of the house this space is 23' by 32' above the living room will be an open loft with cathedral ceilings 23' x14' [open] total loft space 700-800sqft. Depending on final knee wall placement. Cathedral ceiling through the loft bedrooms. I will have a radiant floor heating system type and size yet to be determined but will heat the house on its own. I know I will have lots of heat in the upper loft area and will move heat with dual level ceiling fans one on the loft ceiling and one in the living room at the loft floor height.. I really think I will not be burning all the time with our lifestyle, but will do so on the coldest days and stretches where will be home for longer time periods. The location of the stove will be on the far end of the living room in the left corner on the outer wall. It can get very cold here in the UP -20 is not uncomon.

Dave

Shoot for a good 3 cu ft stove of the style that fits the place the best. The suggested stoves would all work. For starters, in cast iron look at the Quadrafire Isle Royale and Jotul F600. The Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 would also work. This is a cast iron/steel hybrid. If you prefer a more contemporary looking version, its equivalent is the PE Summit stove. In soapstone the Hearthstone Mansfield or Equinox would do the job. In steel, I'd look at the Lopi Liberty or perhaps the big Blaze King. There are other options, but that will get you started. Tell us which one you think would visually fit the best.

Well today I took the plunge. I got a sweet price [i think] on a Hearthstone Mansfield. There was a brown/blue in stock and was just what i was looking for............ Thanks to all for the feed back on my questions.

Dave

Congratulations Dave. That's a nice, big stove. House rules are it ain't so till we see the pictures. Looking forward to some beauty shots.

Congrats, welcome to the stoners club. Yeah, we like pictures.

Midalake said:
Well today I took the plunge. I got a sweet price [i think] on a Hearthstone Mansfield. There was a brown/blue in stock and was just what i was looking for............ Thanks to all for the feed back on my questions.

Dave

WOW!! Two days/4 posts from "hi" I have questions to , "Hi again" I have stove. :cheese:

We waffled for a year. Congrats on the stove, and yes, we need pics of it. Sitting at the construction site drinking beer with the crew, Hanging out in place waiting for the finish carpenters to get done.. staring longingly at a stack of wood, and of course.. actually at work when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.