1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Looking for a vintage lawn tractor.

Post in 'The Gear' started by smokinj, Jun 6, 2013.

1. hman

hman Member

Loc:
    Chillicothe,Ohio
    1254 Husky Bolens tractor.Got high/low range and posi traction.
    smokinj likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    didnt one of those first gen 316's or 317's get a bad rap for engine issues? something about kohler not designing the oiling correct
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I think the kohler 17hp got the bad rep (2 cylinder). The 10-16hp single lung K series Kohlers are pretty tough.
    MasterMech and smokinj like this.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Nothing wrong with the old Deere's, but 1960's Cubs and even the old Bolens have so much more... panache.

Do note, you should be searching on the term "garden tractor", not "lawn tractor", if your intent is plowing or tilling.
    smokinj likes this.
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Yea but most people list there both ways. Seems they don't know....
  6. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    a Bolens HT23 will pulls your plow ==c
    smokinj likes this.
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    These old Cub Cadets are classics.

[​IMG]
    smokinj likes this.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

What model?
  9. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    smokinj likes this.
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

Narrow frame, original style seat, optional round fenders... likely a model 100. A very early Cub.

I had a 123 hydro, which was a serious, mean little machine.
    smokinj likes this.
  11. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I misunderstood. Yes, this one is a 100. I just found this on another forum. I once saw a pic of one hauling an unbelievable load of hay on some forum, but I can't find it now.
    smokinj likes this.
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I am looking at a 108 cub
  13. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Those are all good machines. A 12x would be even better.

The quick course:

7x = 7 hp
    10x = 10 hp
    12x = 12 hp
    14x = 14 hp
    etc.

The 7x's are very cool, but seriously lacking in power and weight. The 10x's will do most of what you need. I think all 7x, 10x, and 12x tractors are narrow frame, and they introduced the wide frame with the 14x, but don't quote me on that. The narrow frames are very collectible, and serious workhorses, but the implements are more difficult to change out. They introduced a quick change system with the wide frame.

Nothing misunderstood. The 100 is a cool machine! I wish I had space to have one.
    smokinj likes this.
  14. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    smokinj and Joful like this.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If you're looking for a working machine, consider the following.

The aftermarket and enthusiast communities are what keep these machines alive. It's one thing to collect classic machinery, restore it and run it from time to time. It's quite another to need it to perform reliably in the present day.

Out of all the companies that built fantastic garden tractors, there are only two or three left. One has forever been playing catch-up, the other is a retail bean-counter whose product is a shadow of it's ancestors. (And that is stretching it a bit IMO) The final survivor, you can still walk up to the parts counter, state what you need and there is more than a passing chance that they will have it or it can be had in one to two days. It's the same company that has an aftermarket and enthusiast following that is second to none.
  16. mithesaint

mithesaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio

Truth. If you're actively using a 30 year old machine, it's gonna break. Repairs are a lot easier when you can easily find parts.
  17. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That's why I sold my 123. Got tired of fixing it. Never anything major... just endless little things. I was putting a LOT of hours on it, though.

... a LOT of hours. <>
  18. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    30? He's looking for at least 40 yrs old. I use a 30 yr old machine for my routine work around here. I never thought it was vintage.
    smokinj likes this.
  19. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    I have a JD-110, the weakest link in the older JDs is the Variator clutch system. Its a variable sheave system. Mine is currently at the dealer being rebuilt. Nice thing is that you go to the parts counter, and what you need is there the next day. Or, if you don't have time to do the job yourself, you can drop off a 40 YO garden tractor and they still have techs who can fix them. Try doing that with any other make.

Currently, I have been using my 1947 Gravely L for just about everything other than field tillage. They are still cheap, so you can buy a few for parts (I have 3 parts units and 2 runners). Like a horse though, you have to like working with them, because they always want to try to hurt, injure or maim you when you least expect it...
    smokinj likes this.
  20. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, the "new" tractor that replaced my 48 year old Cub is a 27 year old Deere. Both are old, but there's a huge difference in technology and reliability. That said, the Cub could often be repaired with parts from Walmart or Napa... the newer Deere is more modular, always requires special parts from Deere.

PS - if anyone is looking for a good running Kohler K301, I have one I want to sell. Came out of a Deere, I bought it as a spare for my Cub. Both used the same 12hp engine, with different shrouds, etc.
    smokinj likes this.
  21. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Funny you posted that Looks like my new tractor will be in the form of a Cub cadet 108. 3 point hitch. Its only a 10hp but it should do what I want. Plus its still got the working belly deck. Oh and yes I will be throwing quite a bit of cash in my pocket. ;) I am only looking for light duty plowing and light duty mowing. We are talking maybe and average of 2hrs a week tops. I can get part new on the net. I do that a lot with the jds if I a few day anyways. With have 2 it will be a done issue waiting.
    Joful likes this.
  22. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    my 40 year old 110 mows 1 acre weekly reliably - no issues on parts availability, as far as I have read the engineers at JD designed the original 110 with the intention of it being able to pull a 1 bottom plow

smokinj likes this.
  23. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state

My dad has a '70 or '71 SS15 that he still uses today. My grandfather bought it new. It sure is built like a tank. Colors are blue and white.
    smokinj likes this.
  24. Knots

Knots Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Alfred, Maine
    JimDandy04162004 017.jpg JimDandy04162004 001.jpg BillsPowerKing070502_03.jpg Economy Power King and Jim Dandy. Lotsa fun!
    smokinj likes this.
  25. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    cub cadet.jpg

Looks like its going to be a 108 cub cadet. Will be here 5:00 Tuesday!
    Joful and HittinSteel like this.