Looking for advice for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

umfug

Feb 4, 2009
colorado
Hi: I am looking for a fireplace insert to put in my basement. The reason for the insert is the room has a pre fab fireplace against an outside wall, with a nice brick hearth and woodwork to the ceiling. The pre fab has only 18" height to work with. I would like to have an insert that does not need a blower, cause during a power outage it renders the insert useless. A buck model 18 would fit, but has a blower. Can I take the fireplace out completely, build a new shell for an insert? Is there a way to make it convection with an insert? Does anyone know of a site where these thing are explained in detail. Thank you, I know there are a lot of questions here, any help would be appreciated.

Preab fireplaces are tricky. You are going to have to tell us what brand fireplace it is. There should be a tag on it somewhere. Even then, you might have to do some research on your own.

As for blowers. With inserts, they are a must. The fans don't pull that much current, so a cheap inverter and a battery will keep one running for atleast a day. There is a bit of an argument in here as to the need for a blower on a stove. I think they're a must. Atleast a fan in the room to destratify the air.

You might look into getting a stove and putting it in the fireplace opening. Still you are going to have to do something with the prefab fireplace. If you are pretty handy, you can probably install something yourself with help from people in here.

Is this wall a brick exterior wall?

I am sure it is wood behind the prefab fireplace. The manufacturer is "Marco" they are in California (or at least they were) my house was built in 83.

Attachments

• fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 292
I am a machinist by trade, and was in sheet metal before that. As far as bricks and mortar go, I have no skill at all.

Attachments

• fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 301
I have to second what Karl says about a blower being a must with an insert especially if you end up with one that is flush. You just won't get enough heat otherwise. I live in Colorado too and haven't had any trouble with power outages over the years.

Looks like you have plenty of hearth space. You might consider a free standing stove or a hearth heater ( sort of a cross between an insert and a free standing stove - I think Regency makes one or Hampton - I can't remember which.....) With those a blower isn't essential and you get a lot of radiant heat.

Sorry I can't add anything about your pre-fab situation. I don't know anything about them.

To agree with the other posters, unless you have a large surface area of the insert sticking out of the hearth, you will need a blower. (Unless you only want to heat the room that the insert is in)
Basically, I was going to go th no blower route when I first started.....was going to try some small fans etc....the blower is a must.
Without the blower, all your btu's are not being sent in the room where you need the heat, and its just wasted energy in my opinion.
There are some folks that run a battery and inverter when the power goes out...will give you a few hours with the blower. (Perhaps more, but would depend on your battery, inverter, etc..)
In my case, we lost power for 8 days due to the ice storm up here, and I now have a 5500 watt generator.....glad I have it too :)
Good luck!

So here is my next question. Because the pre fab is so small, should I just take it out? And where can I learn how to prep for an insert?

What about a wood stove, some place else?

Welcome to the forums !!!

"What about a wood stove, some place else?

Welcome to the forums !!!"

My house has a poor layout for anyplace else.

Thank You.

you mentioned taking the prefab out, that might be a possibility. But, the best way is to take it out from the back. Is this fireplace on an exterior wall? What is on the outside? If it is not brick, you can remove it & pull the prefab out from the backside. Then replace it with a better unit. Looks like the RSF Opel would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.