Looking for ideas for unconventional stove pipe application in yurt.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to support heavy class A pipe through a fabric roof. That is why we did a side-wall installation. Duravent double-wall is not exterior pipe. It does not have a rain cap designed for it, it is not sealed for exterior use, it is totally not meant for this application.

We can only tell you the right way to use a product here. The rest is speculation.

I don't know how to support heavy class A pipe through a fabric roof. That is why we did a side-wall installation. Duravent double-wall is not exterior pipe. It does not have a rain cap designed for it, it is not sealed for exterior use, it is totally not meant for this application.

We can only tell you the right way to use a product here. The rest is speculation.

Thanks. I know it's not exterior pipe. Neither was/is any of the other pipe used or is in use I mentioned. What's the most likely worst case scenario...that I have to replace that which is outside in 5 yrs? 10 yrs? The outer pipe is painted with epoxy, and, depending on which literature is looked at, is aluminized or galvanized metal. The inner is stainless. The rain cap I'm using should easily retrofit.

I'm hoping someone local has this pipe in stock. After seeing it, I'm sure it will be clear that it'll either be suitable for me or something will stick out that says "this is gonna take more fiddling than I'm willing to put forth".

Ok. I came up with something a lot better than my vented double wall pipe idea. It's not quite to code but much closer and less $ than the double wall idea.

Before my single wall hits the yurt roof, I install this adapter: http://www.lowes.com/pd_353600-85178-JSC6ASE_0__?productId=3351526&Ntt=chimney pipe&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=chimney+pipe&facetInfo=

On top of that, I run this short insulated chimney section through my roof http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I will then just stick my existing single wall back into this insulated chimney pipe. Screwed together, of course. I'll make a storm collar from sheet metal at the transition.

The single wall pipe from the stove should support that short section of chimney pipe with ease.

Seemed obvious once I was able to stand in front of a bunch of available components at Lowes. I'm surprised no one here thought of it! ;-)

Critiques/constructive criticisms welcome.

Fish

Last edited:
I installed just as explained in my last post. I've burned this stove many times since, as hot as I've ever had it. Kept the code required 2" from the yurt rafters. They get warm and that's it. Very pleased with this set up.

How did you secure the double wall insulated (class a)? Love to see a picture.

The insulated pipe twists onto the adapter which is screwed to the single wall pipe. Check out the links I posted and it should be clear. All of this bears on the stove itself. Not much weight.

I did not run the insulated pipe all the way to the cap as it should be. Instead, I used a galvanized 8"-6" adapter, screwed to the insulated chimney, and screwed a piece of single wall on top of that. Not standard but it's a clean and sturdy connection. I will replace the single wall and adapter with another section of insulated chimney at a later date. For now, it works well....though it would probably draft better with the addition.
yurt pipe 1.png yurt pipe 2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.