Looking for low-cost, hi-style wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raderator

Dec 3, 2010
Northeast
I've always liked modern Scandinavian wood stoves but they cost a few grand and are not generally available in small-town USA.

I like the Englander 17-VL, dirt cheap at $384 (after tax credit) and will probably go with that. Saw it in person at Home Depot. Not as slick as real European design but acceptable. I saw a Chilean stove at Lowe's that was interesting called Amesti. They have this model for $549 (don't know if it's eligible for tax credit).

http://www.amesti.cl/_nordic_380.html

This version looks better tho.

http://www.amesti.cl/_scantek_380.html

At first I thought it was a Bosca (also Chilean) but apparently not. I like the Bosca Limit 450.

http://www.autorain.com/itemdisplay.php?sku=10110064

The 17-VL seems unique for a cheap stove in that the firebox is wide and tall for its depth and will give you a big view with a little fire, which seems to be the Euro trend.

raderator said:
I've always liked modern Scandinavian wood stoves but they cost a few grand and are not generally available in small-town USA.

I like the Englander 17-VL, dirt cheap at $384 (after tax credit) and will probably go with that. Saw it in person at Home Depot. Not as slick as real European design but acceptable. I saw a Chilean stove at Lowe's that was interesting called Amesti. They have this model for $549 (don't know if it's eligible for tax credit).

http://www.amesti.cl/_nordic_380.html

This version looks better tho.

http://www.amesti.cl/_scantek_380.html

At first I thought it was a Bosca (also Chilean) but apparently not. I like the Bosca Limit 450.

http://www.autorain.com/itemdisplay.php?sku=10110064

The 17-VL seems unique for a cheap stove in that the firebox is wide and tall for its depth and will give you a big view with a little fire, which seems to be the Euro trend.
If had those stoves to pick from i would go with the Englander 17 VL,

corey21 said:
If had those stoves to pick from i would go with the Englander 17 VL,

+1 That is the only one of those stoves that I've seen reviewed here, and it is well-liked.

Rad,

I bought a 17, and really like it!

Had I bought one of the others you linked too, I'm sure I would have liked them as well, but what I like most is the price!
For what I paid, after the tax credit, I'm thinking I got about the best deal there is to be had out there.

My choice wasn't just based on price.
I looked at stoves with a solid door, and those with a window.
I really enjoy looking through it at the fire.
My stove is just 5' from my desk, and being able to feel the heat, AND see the fire is really nice.

The rounded edges on the fancier stoves are nice!.
Mine is in my shop, so looks weren't a high priority, though that said, the 17 isn't bad looking...
I have no idea if a more expensive stove "heats" better or not, but mine is doing a fine job of keeping me warm.

Rob

Never seen the Amesti before. They're interesting because they are N/S burners, most stoves in this size range aren't. I'd like to see one.

Interesting note in the Amesti instruction manual:
- - - - -
What kind and amount of firewood should be used?
Use firewood from eucalyptus, fruit, and other alien invasive trees. Avoid burning
indigenous trees, since harvesting can produce irreparable ecological damage. Avoid
pine due to its high sap content; sap can accumulate in the main flue and cause a fire
hazard.
- - - - -

That's a new twist. Keep warm, and kill the aliens.

Purely on looks I think the Nordic wins out because of the curved sides but I do like the larger glass on the Scantek. I am a fan of the European design, have a Scan A 10, and I think it's great an American company finally figured out others out here like it too. The Englander is a great little stove and the company has a good reputation. One thing to keep in mind is the firebox size. All the European style stoves have a small firebox. I bought my stove to use as a part time burner, on weekends and after work. It keeps the house reasonably warm without any help from the furnace. I think you have a tough decision they are all pretty nice stoves.

precaud said:
- - - - -
Use firewood from eucalyptus, fruit, and other alien invasive trees. Avoid burning
indigenous trees, since harvesting can produce irreparable ecological damage. Avoid
pine due to its high sap content; sap can accumulate in the main flue and cause a fire
hazard.
- - - - -

Thats very interesting. Dont let the republicans catch wind of that though.

Franks said:
precaud said:
- - - - -
hazard.
- - - - -

Thats very interesting. Dont let the republicans catch wind of that though.

Worry more about the dems on that one......

I'm afraid the debate over whether or not to burn pine will never be resolved in this highly charged climate of partisan bickering. Neither Rebumbl-icans nor Demo-craps really care about the issue - we must turn to the Ever-Green Party for real progress.

Stepping aside from the political party quagmires, and the nonsense about burning pine... I thought it was interesting in that, it shows some effort on the part of the manufacturers toward consistency, from national priorities down to end use. I can't say the same about ours here.

A few months back I wrote to my esteemed US senator, expressing my dismay that he was not a co-sponsor of legislation to deal with the bark beetle situation out west. And I explained to him the sad state of one branch of gov't not knowing what the other is doing and working at cross purposes as a result. In this case, we have:
a) tax refunds being given to encourage us to buy and use solid-fuel appliances
b) many thousands of acres of beetle-kill-covered federal property, which is a fire hazard
c) but it is illegal to go onto them to gather it for firewood
d) instead, another federal agency sells fuelwood permits to remote places with poor access and with little fuelwood left to gather.

It would be a trivial matter to organize a program that harmonized both priorities, served the people's interests, and let people participate in solving a significant problem.

But it ain't gonna happen.

precaud said:
Never seen the Amesti before. They're interesting because they are N/S burners, most stoves in this size range aren't. I'd like to see one.

What does N/S burner mean? (noob)

One thing I noticed about the Amesti is the weird handle. They look nice, kind of a curved brass bar, but they seem to be used like a wrench and are not permanently attached. That seems pretty inconvenient. All you normally see is an ugly nut end.

Also, we have a flue which was installed when the house was built 30 years ago. It's 8" and seems to be double-walled and runs thru the center of our two-story house so there would be about 24' in total rise. I wonder if we could get away with using 8" instead 0f 6" cuz of that.

precaud said:

One thing I noticed about the Amesti is the weird handle. They look nice, kind of a curved brass bar, but they seem to be used like a wrench and are not permanently attached. That seems pretty inconvenient. All you normally see is an ugly nut end.

Also, we have a flue which was installed when the house was built 30 years ago. It's 8" and seems to be double-walled and runs thru the center of our two-story house so there would be about 24' in total rise. I wonder if we could get away with using 8" instead 0f 6" cuz of that.

precaud said:

Also, we have a flue which was installed when the house was built 30 years ago. It's 8" and seems to be double-walled and runs thru the center of our two-story house so there would be about 24' in total rise. I wonder if we could get away with using 8" instead 0f 6" cuz of that. When we recently had new shingles put on, they replaced the chimney cap with a very nice $250 one.

raderator said:
What does N/S burner mean?

North/South. It means the firebox is deeper than wide. It affects the way wood is loaded (no logs rolling out) and burns (more-or-less end-to-end). N/S stoves are also less likely to spill smoke when the door is opened while burning.

That's pretty common for stoves made outside the US. I have a stove like that - doesn't bother me at all.

Also, we have a flue which was installed when the house was built 30 years ago. It's 8" and seems to be double-walled and runs thru the center of our two-story house so there would be about 24' in total rise. I wonder if we could get away with using 8" instead 0f 6" cuz of that. When we recently had new shingles put on, they replaced the chimney cap with a very nice $250 one.

Whether or not that passes inspection for a new install depends on local codes. I think you'll have to ask about it.

My stove has a 6" flue and the chimney pipe is 8". I just put a 6 to 8 increaser in at ceiling height. I haven't had any draft problems.

Thanks to both. I guess deeper would be more practical. Great to hear about the 8" pipe too. The Amesti at Lowe's for $549 is kinda growing on me.

nordic-380.jpg

I wonder if the handle can be permanently attached. I never did figure it out. It looks like it's designed to shed heat, kind of a brass paper-clip shape.

Tho the Amesti Rondo is really more my style. Good luck finding one. Prolly cost more.

img_rondo.jpg

Silver flues look better than black. I can find nothing about a tax credit for these.

Odd that Lowes is selling them in-store but has nothing online about them. Where do you live?

The only two models I see on the EPA-approved stoves list are the Rondo 450 and Nordic 380. The Rondo 450 is not a N/S stove... the N380 is.

I'd also suggest you take a good look inside the firebox. That a) their EPA numbers are on the high side, b) they specifically warn against burning pine, c) the "air injector" system they tout without giving any details, and d) in their manual or on their website they give zero information about the internal construction, all make me a bit suspicious about their combustion system.

Also, keep in mind, these are fully-jacketed stoves, so the only radiant heat you'll get is from the front.

precaud said:
Odd that Lowes is selling them in-store but has nothing online about them. Where do you live?

The only two models I see on the EPA-approved stoves list are the Rondo 450 and Nordic 380. The Rondo 450 is not a N/S stove... the N380 is.

I'd also suggest you take a good look inside the firebox. That a) their EPA numbers are on the high side, b) they specifically warn against burning pine, c) the "air injector" system they tout without giving any details, and d) in their manual or on their website they give zero information about the internal construction, all make me a bit suspicious about their combustion system.

Also, keep in mind, these are fully-jacketed stoves, so the only radiant heat you'll get is from the front.

I'm in upstate NY. The one at Lowe's says N380 on it (Nordic 380 I presume). I had the pic for the 350 (above) but corrected it. Looks better. Does that mean it qualifies for the tax credit?

Yes, it qualifies. Lowes must be test-marketing it up there.

On the Amesti home page, click on "Ecological Technology" and you'll see "AMESTI COMBUSTION CHAMBER". Mouse over the stove cutaway, and right click on it to zoom in to see some of the details. It looks like the secondary system is welded-in channels along the sides. That would explain the high-ish EPA numbers. And not repairable by you if it cracks/warps, unless you're a welder.

There is some unknown territory here. Still, it's an intriguing stove at $549. Wish I could examine one in person.

Cool. Most of the action in a firebox is in the top section, where the baffling and air outlets are. Take some pics up there. Work the control, make sure it's smooth. They are going about some things in unconventional ways in this stove. It's fun to go where noone has gone before, but you don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

precaud said:

Is that different from the Englander? This one would seem to give better convection thru the outer body without a fan because of the large vents on the top corners. Just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.