Looking for my first stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SD Golden

Aug 1, 2018
South Dakota
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm just looking into my first stove for my 2400 sq ft 2 story home. I have fond memories of deer hunting on a ranch way out in west river South Dakota and coming back in to the rancher's house after a cold evening to a roaring fire in his stove, which leads me to my present endeavour of a stove in my basement. I've decided I want a catalytic stove and have looked into the Blaze King Sirocco as well as the Quadra fire as I want the long burn times without constant tending. There are no stove installers within 200 miles of my home as wood burning is not popular in east river South Dakota since there's not many trees. Thus I'm looking to install myself, I have a mechanical and engineering background so I enjoy doing a lot of projects myself. I'm looking for input on chimney and flue installation toto pass through a wall. I find a lot of conflicting information from what I've found online (some say I need to build a brick inlay in the hole in the wall, others do not). I know I need 3X the flue diameter hole to pass through the wall, but am interested in other input and supplies needed. Also any input or experience with cat stoves especially with thermostat is would be welcome. Any and all help is appreciated and I'm sure I'll have tons more questions.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm just looking into my first stove for my 2400 sq ft 2 story home. I have fond memories of deer hunting on a ranch way out in west river South Dakota and coming back in to the rancher's house after a cold evening to a roaring fire in his stove, which leads me to my present endeavour of a stove in my basement. I've decided I want a catalytic stove and have looked into the Blaze King Sirocco as well as the Quadra fire as I want the long burn times without constant tending. There are no stove installers within 200 miles of my home as wood burning is not popular in east river South Dakota since there's not many trees. Thus I'm looking to install myself, I have a mechanical and engineering background so I enjoy doing a lot of projects myself. I'm looking for input on chimney and flue installation toto pass through a wall. I find a lot of conflicting information from what I've found online (some say I need to build a brick inlay in the hole in the wall, others do not). I know I need 3X the flue diameter hole to pass through the wall, but am interested in other input and supplies needed. Also any input or experience with cat stoves especially with thermostat is would be welcome. Any and all help is appreciated and I'm sure I'll have tons more questions.
Great choice of stove. I have a pair of the same stove in a different skirt, and I love them.

On chimney and install, paging @bholler and @webby3650. These two guys do this for a living (sweep and installer, respectively), they'll set you straight.

Reactions: BrotherBart
I've found online (some say I need to build a brick inlay in the hole in the wall, others do not). I know I need 3X the flue diameter hole to pass through the wall, but am interested in other input and supplies needed.
No brick is necessary. You need to look into a Class A chimney system. In your case you are wanting a Tee system. It will have a thimble for passing through the wall that’s specific to the pipe you choose. So don’t go cutting holes till you chosen a brand.
It would be best if you can go straight up through the roof with flue, is there an obstacle preventing this?

What he said.

Masonry is allot more work and simply doesnt perform as well unless you put an insulated liner in it. Which at that point material costs will be similar

Who said you need three times the diameter? That rule is for single wall connector and not for class a wall penetrations.

Who said you need three times the diameter? That rule is for single wall connector and not for class a wall penetrations.
That is not a rule for connector either. Actuall not a rule for anything. For a masonry wall passthrough you need 12" of solid masonry all around the crock

Everybody parrots the 18" rule but that is for 6". 3x6=18

5" is 15" clearance. Dont know who uses 5" pipe but yea thats the rule.

And in reality it is based on the diameter of the flue outlet on the appliance, Not the pipe.

For starters I would suggest going to the major chimney pipe mfg's websites and download their installation guide. That will help you visualize the installation and components needed. DuraVent has a decent guide for installing DuraTech chimney pipe. Then see which option(s) best fit your house. If you can post some picture of the exterior of the house where possible chimney location(s) might be and most desired stove placement location(s) inside that will help people suggesting options. Extra points if you can include a sketch of the first floor plan showing possible stove locations.

Everybody parrots the 18" rule but that is for 6". 3x6=18

5" is 15" clearance. Dont know who uses 5" pipe but yea thats the rule.
Where does it state that? Because it isnt in any code book i have ever seen. And the one i use is used by almost all states. I can tell you for sure it is not code in pa where you are located. I didnt check but i would bet it is the same in sd

Last edited:
No brick is necessary. You need to look into a Class A chimney system. In your case you are wanting a Tee system. It will have a thimble for passing through the wall that’s specific to the pipe you choose. So don’t go cutting holes till you chosen a brand.
It would be best if you can go straight up through the roof with flue, is there an obstacle preventing this?

The stove will be in the basement of my split level home and due to the upstairs layout it would have to exit through the basement all. Any suggestions on reputable chimney manufacturers to look into?

For starters I would suggest going to the major chimney pipe mfg's websites and download their installation guide. That will help you visualize the installation and components needed. DuraVent has a decent guide for installing DuraTech chimney pipe. Then see which option(s) best fit your house. If you can post some picture of the exterior of the house where possible chimney location(s) might be and most desired stove placement location(s) inside that will help people suggesting options. Extra points if you can include a sketch of the first floor plan showing possible stove locations.

I will snap some pictures tonight, here is a picture of the basement floor plan with possible locations. The preferred spot for ease of installation with existing furniture and without moving existing wiring for outlets and cable is in the corner of the living room circled in yellow. 2 other options are in Orange, but would require moving wiring for the tv, and I believe the sectional couch may be too close for the other (unfortunate as it's my most desired location as it would position the chimney on the back side of the house opposed to on the front)

Attachments

• 20180802_152242.jpg
    20180802_152242.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 158
I will snap some pictures tonight, here is a picture of the basement floor plan with possible locations. The preferred spot for ease of installation with existing furniture and without moving existing wiring for outlets and cable is in the corner of the living room circled in yellow. 2 other options are in Orange, but would require moving wiring for the tv, and I believe the sectional couch may be too close for the other (unfortunate as it's my most desired location as it would position the chimney on the back side of the house opposed to on the front)
That looks like a logical location. Is the proposed location for pipe going through the wall below or above grade? At that location will the chimney pipe that goes through the wall be going through a cement or wood studded wall?

oops. One doesnt say that.Sorry.

Code says 18 inches but my stove says 12 and is certified by UL.

oops. One doesnt say that.Sorry.

Code says 18 inches but my stove says 12 and is certified by UL.
Yes because code also says clearances can be over ridden by the manufacturer of a ul listed product. Code does not say anything about 3x

Oh and the one that doesnt say it is directly quoting nfpa 211 in many places

In case anyone ever wondered what chimney installers debate, when they get bored... :p

Reactions: bholler
In case anyone ever wondered what chimney installers debate, when they get bored... :p
No debate to be had code is clear 18" unless sepecified otherwise by manufacturer.

That looks like a logical location. Is the proposed location for pipe going through the wall below or above grade? At that location will the chimney pipe that goes through the wall be going through a cement or wood studded wall?

It will be above grade by 2 feet or so, through a wood studded wall with sheetrock inside, spray foam insulation and vinyl siding outside.

It will be above grade by 2 feet or so, through a wood studded wall with sheetrock inside, spray foam insulation and vinyl siding outside.
Very good. It will need a wall thimble kit by the mfg. to pass the chimney pipe through the wall safely. The installation will look something like this
simpson_wall_thimble.JPG duratech wall thimble2.JPG

The whole install will look like something like this:

exterior prefab chimney.PNG

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck