Looking for non epa compliant wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll see plenty of "This stove sucks" threads in a few months. Happens every year as folks try to burn unseasoned wood, or run the stove with the air control open, or replace a 5 cu ft radiant smoke dragon with a 2 cu ft modern convective model on a 9 ft chimney. Dad noted long ago that a poor worker always blames his tools. Most come around once they start listening.

Good deal. There is a learning curve with a new stove, especially when switching from a non-EPA stove to a modern one. But once you get it dialed in and adjust burning habits they heat great. When you get a chance can you add your stove (fireplace?) to your signature line? Is this the Kozy?
Yes, Kozyheat Z-42, I added it to my signature... at least I think I did, this post will be the test to see if it's actually there

Don't think many folks mentioned Osburn stoves- good bang for the buck, hard to beat the Englander though. This just sounds like an older gentleman who is averse to change. I hated going to unleaded gas too, but can't imagine trying to breathe today had we all not. Not many stoves going to handle 24 inch pieces of wood, 18 to 20 is the norm nowadays. Hey, he will come around- we all do.

Reactions: quotejso
An Osburn 2400 should do the job. I mentioned Drolet which is the inexpensive version of the Osburn. The HT2000 gets good reviews for a strong heater. For less money there's the Myriad/Baltic/Austral stoves in the Drolet line.

I agree with BG. The Osburn 2300 (new model of the 2300) would be a good choice. We sell the 2300 (blk door, blk overlay with pedestal and blower) for 1799, the 2400 (without blower) for 1699, both would be heat hammers, provided good dry seasoned wood is used.

Can I still find the stove called the allnighter?
I don't know, but if you buy a modern Blaze King, you could call it the "all night, next day, and following all nighter." Burn times under 30-40 hours are no longer a point worth mentioning.

You can find used ones but they are just another big old smoke dragon. Nothing special about them yeah if you load it up and shut it way down they will burn all night but they will also fill your chimney with creosote doing it especially with wet wood

Yeah nothing special about them really he is full of it. As far as those old stoves went they are pretty good ones but they are not secondary combustion stoves at all.

Reactions: JA600L
"Upgrading" to 15 cords a winter. >>

Reactions: JA600L
I don't know, but if you buy a modern Blaze King, you could call it the "all night, next day, and following all nighter." Burn times under 30-40 hours are no longer a point worth mentioning.
Sure they are. The majority of stoves on the market are not catalytic. For someone not wanting a cat stove the non-cat burn times are quite relevant. My guess is that with the large space being heated you will see that you will not be getting 30-40hr burn times once you start your first winter with the BKs.

Yeah nothing special about them really he is full of it. As far as those old stoves went they are pretty good ones but they are not secondary combustion stoves at all.

But it recirculates the gases 3 times!

Reactions: bholler
Sure they are. The majority of stoves on the market are not catalytic. For someone not wanting a cat stove the non-cat burn times are quite relevant. My guess is that with the large space being heated you will see that you will not be getting 30-40hr burn times once you start your first winter with the BKs.
True. I was typing on a phone, so not as verbose as I should have been. Point was that the marketing behind the "all nighter" stove falls short of impressing, based on today's burn time standards.

I will be getting 12 hour burns out of one of my BK's, and 24 hour burns out of the other, as dictated by my work and family schedule. The only variable is how much oil I'll be burning to offset the heat they give at those burn rates. For me, the primary attraction to BK is the ability to set it to run at those two very different burn rates with the turn of a knob.

Is the wood stove the only source of heat you have?

Do you have duct work? Or rads? Or anything else?

Sole source of heat. I have baseboard for emergencies.

Look on Craigslist for a Vermont Castings Defiant. They are solid pre-EPA stoves that take a 24" log and put out a ton of heat. I was heating my 2,000 sq ft raised ranch and getting solid overnight burns (8 hours) with no problem.

Ruffrider, I have a all nighter mid moe for sale if your interested. Fits 24" logs. Located in Bristol, CT outside of Hartford. Don't know if that's too far away for you. Asking $550. Thanks ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440078970.586161.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440078996.786369.jpg

Any thoughts????
My experince with ussc has not been very good. I have found most of their stuff is poor design and construction. If you are going for a cheap stove go with the englander 30nc. It is a much better stove. And dont you already have one of those crappy ashly circulators that you are looking to replace?

Yes I do. I don't know much about new stoves. Just my h1 heritage hearth stone. Lol. This ec 95 is junk you are right. Thanks for straighting me out. My local hd has the nc 30 englander. Saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.