Looking to buy my first wood burner, suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandnewrock8

Hearth Supporter
Jul 28, 2009
Davison, MI
Ill be honest, I know little to nothing about what to look for when I buy a wood burner. I had one growing up in my parents house, so I know how to operate one, but as far as good quality brand to go with, Im not sure.

I want to spend $2000-$3000 on a wood stove, and the all of the piping,and other needed equipment. I will install it myself with the help of my father, we are both very handy, and he installed two different wood burners in his home.

I looked at the Avalon Arbor, and I like how it looks, but I can find a price for it ANYWHERE!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a wood burner for me? Please give details on why that burner would be a good choice.

My home is a single floor ranch, about 1600 square feet. I would like to be able to use the wood burner as the primary heat source in the Michigan winter, but it isn't a must, I would be fine with just using it to work with my furnace. If you need to know anything else I left out, please ask!

Thanks in advance!

A good double wall stainless steel flue will run you around a $1000.
No matter what you get for a stove or a furnace the flue is the engine that drives it.
I believe Craig has already made a great post about that here somewhere.

Next to heat your home I'd think a 60 to 70,000 btu appliance should do the job.
Do you have a basement?
Are you looking to heat the whole home or just part of it?
Do you have ducting to hook too or are you just looking for a stand alone?

If you want a primary wood appliance I'd say look to a furnace not a stove. 10-12 hour burn times are a must and able to heat up to 72 degrees while burning.
I'd say to look at a BJ90 that we make but if you want asthetics we are not the furnace for you.Then you'd want a stove.

Yes I have a basement. I am looking for a wood burner that looks good too, so the furnace option is probably out. Like I said, I dont mind running it with my furnace. I just want to cover all the opetions I have. The unit would be stand alone, as I do not have any sort of duct work set up for it. I am now thinking I will be using the wood burner to heat the living are of my home, working along with my furnace.

we sell lopi, the sister company to avalon, and the leyden model (identical to the arbor) runs about 2100

rock8,
check out emmets energy
i'm thinking there is one by you
waterford location i think is out your way
i'm thinking they have the avalon's
dont be shy on that fire box size
you wont be sorry
rustynut

Ok then ...you need/want a stove. Remember this is an investment.
Done right...you'll win. Don't skimp...look to the guys here for which stove you'll want.

I could not tell you which one to buy ,but I can tell you to get a big enough unit to get at least a bare bones minimum 10 hour burn rate.
Good luck.....

Thanks to all that answered so far, very informative. I planned on calling/visiting Emmitts Energy. Theres the one in Waterford and one in Romeo I believe.

rustynut said:
check out emmets energy

x2, I bought mine from the store in Romeo....

I have a 1500 square foot ranch in SW michigan. My Hearthstone Homestead heats my house really well. I have about 3 grand invested. I couldn't imagine a michigan winter without it again. When it is below zero the overnight burns get a little short. That is the only downfall.

lazeedan said:
I have a 1500 square foot ranch in SW michigan. My Hearthstone Homestead heats my house really well. I have about 3 grand invested. I couldn't imagine a michigan winter without it again. When it is below zero the overnight burns get a little short. That is the only downfall.

all the more reason to go with the next size up from what u think u need

rock8,
got mine from romeo store as well.
had to stop in today and get some hi-temp silicone for the storm collar.
the guys on the site clued me in on sealing that up...........
they do carry avalon stoves
dont be shy on that fire box size
too small and you will soon be unhappy and much busier
than need be trying to keep it hot
watch their pricing but they seem to be good guys
luv the one you buy & buy the one you luv
enjoy
rn

summit said:
lazeedan said:

all the more reason to go with the next size up from what u think u need

Agreed - See if maybe you can find a Hearthstone Heritage or Woodstock Fireview. Might push your budget slightly, but the investment is strongly recommended. If aesthetics are a concern, rest assured us 'Stoners get plenty o' compliments from visitors (even in the summer)...

I concur with the compliment comment, Ed. I had a group of internet gardening buddies here and to a one all the comments on the soapstone were positive. But I think the Jotuls are really fine looking stoves, too.

Hearthstones are nice
but check out Pacific energy.... they give long burns and are fantastic stoves ... check out the aldera t5, t6 and the summit
or for extremly long burn time get a blaze king!
also the way you burned wood as a kid isnt so anymore... ask around we have all gone through it!!
good luck!@
http://www.pacificenergy.net/

I recently purchased a Fireview so I am slightly biased. I looked at the blazekings but this is going into my main living area. I didn't like the look of a black metal box. Even a guy can appreciate the beauty of a Fireview. They are still on sale and remember they qualify for a 30% tax rebate so if you put up the money you should get 30% of the money back. I read the rules and labor is included in the rebate but what about stove pipe, a hearth, or even the outside chimney? I'll start another post for that one. Remember $4k becomes $3k after the tax credit. Good luck and take your time. I looked at dozens of stoves and debated for a whole year before I had to pull the trigger this March because of a great sale. Good luck

Have you looked at the Jotul F500 Oslo and the Pacific Energy T5 or T6 Alderlea? If one fits the aesthetic requirements, it should be good for the heating needs.

CTburning said:
I recently purchased a Fireview so I am slightly biased. I looked at the blazekings but this is going into my main living area. I didn't like the look of a black metal box. Even a guy can appreciate the beauty of a Fireview. They are still on sale and remember they qualify for a 30% tax rebate so if you put up the money you should get 30% of the money back. I read the rules and labor is included in the rebate but what about stove pipe, a hearth, or even the outside chimney? I'll start another post for that one. Remember $4k becomes $3k after the tax credit. Good luck and take your time. I looked at dozens of stoves and debated for a whole year before I had to pull the trigger this March because of a great sale. Good luck

yes everything
http://woodheatstoves.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=29
hpba tax credit info explains what is covered

Status
Not open for further replies.