looking to install a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salvatore1

Sep 22, 2014
upstate ny
I am considering buying a pellet stove and I am very new to this and a little confused, I've used a wood burning stove ever since I was kid. The stove I'm considering is the pleasant hearth ph50cabps I have a central chimney in the middle of the house with no outside wall I've spoken to a representative of pleasant hearth and they said that there would be no need for me to put an outside vent kit because I have an old house with a lot of air flow. I have a straight run bare masonry brick chimney which measures approx 10×10 from the inside walls. From the top of the chimney to the first floor (kitchen) where the stove will sit is approx 15 to 17 feet with a 7×7 hole already there for a thimble.also dropping down another 10 feet to my cellar is another 7×7 hole at the bottom of the chimney that I can possibly set up for a clean out spout. I would like the installation to be as easy as possible but I am very confused about what type of liner to use if I go with duravent flex pipe how can I make it stay in the middle of the chimney without touching the walls of the chimney, and do i really have to use thermaseal in between the chimney and the flex pipe or if not, do I have to go with insulation wrap around the flex pipe or hopefully neither. or should I just go with lengths of rigid pipe from the chimney into the kitchen. Ive read through certain threds on this forum that were very helpful but not specific to my dilemma's. trying to get as much info and knowledge as possible whether I install myself or get somebody to do it if I have to pay a pro I don't want to be taken advantage of so the more knowledge I have, the better. any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Last edited:
I have a basement install into the chimney, T is laid horizontal, a 90 horizontal into chimney, a 90 up then about 23' of pipe. The pipe was cheaper than flex, but only a few dollars. Also the pipe is smooth, cleans easily.
The top is stuffed with fiber glass to seal and steady the pipe. Nothing was done farther down to center or steady the liner.

As for the outside air not being needed, no shortage of opinions available on that, i did add on this year, i'm interested to see if i notice a difference.

One thing the installers did have when doing mine was a hand held CO sniffer, they were able to check the sealing of the pipe, and add silicon where needed.

Also, my chimney did have the old clean out at the bottom, made it possible or easier to put a screw or two into the 90 that turns upward.

thanks for getting back to me what type of chimney liner pipe did you use I'm also wondering if I should just run the pipe all the way down to the cellar, an unfinished cellar where there's more air and set up some type of cleaning system down there

I bought a pleasant hearth ph50cabps from lowes about 4 weeks ago and it will not burn in min mode... Nothing in the book about it. Any ideas as to why?

I have the same stove, works great and eats all kinds of pellets, I needed to adjust the air per brand of pellets. mine is direct vented out the wall with about 2.5ft of pipe. there customer service were great with a few questions I had.

I had an unlined brick chimney and ran 4" of uninsulated flex up and out. It touches what it touches in there, went up 26' and I have 0 issues with it. Second year burning it with a Harman P61a. Now a Harman burns with a fairly hot stack temp so your situation may vary. But I would think you would be fine only going 17 ft anyway. Mine flows great, and has plenty of natural draft for emergency shut down, power outages etc.

I can't answer your clean out questions, mine was a fireplace install so I put the cleanout T in the fireplace.

Both of my stoves are inserts using flex going directly up the chimney 17' and terminated on top. One is inside the house and one is an external chimney. No problems with either and I didn't use any insulation or anything else. Not necessary. Mine were installed by the pellet stove store's men.

Status
Not open for further replies.