Looks like I picked the wrong year to buy two pellet stove oil prices keep dropping....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassmantweed

Nov 22, 2013
Avon, CT
I know it's a long term play and it will pay off in the end but I was just curious with pellets at $5.50 and oil at $2.60, my payoff point just went out a few years I think.

The point at which I turn the stove off in favor of the oil furnace is rapidly approaching.

oil still at 3.00 a gallon here.. I use 3 or 4 tanks at 175 gallons per delivery a year in oil for far less heat in terms of temperature (70-73 as opposesd to 62 to 66 with oil) so I'm still hanging in with the pellets unless oil drops to 2.00 or lower, which I highly doubt I will ever see

The cheapest oil I can find in our area is $2.64. Its still $0.64 too high.

Reactions: F4jock
Oil might be cheaper now but it will not stay there for years to come. Now that it is less expensive trucking and shipping food and goods have you seen that reflected in price cuts at the stores...........Nope. It's all a racket and money game.

Sure the room your stove is in is 74, but a room away..what is it...dont lie my friend, I'm seeing 10 degrees difference 10 feet around the corner

I see a max 4 degree difference between the room where the stove is and the room furthest away on the same level.

Best I can say is keep your stoves. This all has happened before. Though this time has a bit of a new twist to it. I'm not selling my stove.

Reactions: JustWood
Stove will never be sold, it will jut be used alot less.

All you need to see high oil is someone throwing a piece of ordinance in a oil producing Arab state or something of the same effect as 911 here:(

Sure the room your stove is in is 74, but a room away..what is it...dont lie my friend, I'm seeing 10 degrees difference 10 feet around the corner

My living room (where the stove lives) is 74-76, and my bedroom is 70-71. My bedroom is over the garage, so it was always cold when I was running propane (then, there was a 5-10 degree difference, depending on outdoor temp and wind speed). I have a register fan sitting on the floor under my dresser blowing cold air out, and another fan sitting at the top of the door from the livingroom to the hall blowing warm air down the hall. The other two rooms next to my bedroom aren't more than 1-2 degrees different from the bedroom, if that.

Hate to sound like a broken record here but regardless of Oil Price, to keep my house at 74 degrees as we do with pellets,
I would just go thru the oil quicker, get oil drops sooner so no savings for us in the long run.
unless we go back to the 67 degrees house to save Oil and that ain't gonna happen anymore.
I hate to sound like a broken record too but my pellet stash is bought and paid for so won't be looking at pellet or oil prices til next year and yes tony loving the 70 plus degree temps in my home right now

It is a subscription site.

Is anyone else not seeing text in Tony's replies because I'm not ? On both one computer of mine and my cell. I haven't tried the other computer.

Use it for ambiance. Ever look at a register or a baseboard for 5 minutes and just be mesmerized by it?

Ha hahahaha Ha HA! You made me laugh big time. Beautiful thought!

I will pay for what makes sense but I will do whatever I can to keep warm and put it to the energy kings. Even if using pellets might cost a little more than oil or whatever. At this point it is just as much about principle as it is money. I am so done with that game it isn't even funny. If solar wasn't so expensive and more refined I'd have those bastards paying me each month.

I removed myself from the fluctuating screw overs years ago. Here's a tid bit. The local electric company came out and switched my meter 3 times the first winter I used the Woodmaster a decade ago and they installed a lock on it. That alone insulted me and pissed me off. I heated with wood before that but at another home. The electric co. thought I was screwing them somehow because my usage went from extremely high to extremely low. I am smart enough to know that criminal charges are not worth a little electric cash. At first they thought the meter was bad. After I finally walked the third donkey around and showed him they suddenly understood and he took their lock home. Morons...

As for my temps thru out the house the most fluctuation I get is 7-8 degrees from my farthest reaches from the stove and that is during the real cold days and nights. During upper 30's to the 50's the temperature fluctuation decreases to about 3-4 degrees and I have checked often and monitored this since Oct 18th. Still do for sport and curiosity. I have a pretty open floor plan though on 2 levels and fans moving air. The 7-8 degree difference between the stove area and the farthest reaches is about to get remedied when I install the 2nd pellet stove. Yes, I am that dedicated to not giving utility and energy co.'s my cash. I am currently heating with one stove now and have been. Doubt I use the OWB at all or only to run it this season for fun or it stays well below zero for extended times. Not likely here.

Reactions: English BoB
Is anyone else not seeing text in Tony's replies because I'm not ? On both one computer of mine and my cell. I haven't tried the other computer.
Same problem here

All I see is him and his signature. I do see the quote in the last one but nothing Tony says........ Weird.

All I see is him and his signature. I do see the quote in the last one but nothing Tony says........ Weird.
Yes, well we have been PMing and today's PMs are the same way. I get quotes and a signature, the Avatar, no text.

Hey bags I ran outta likes so I like your post man

Status
Not open for further replies.