Loose Plate? What is it and where does it go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
So I went to spark up the stove since the weather is miserable and found a plate hanging down. The wife was using the stove yesterday and must have bumped it loose. I lodged it back into place where I remembered seeing it before, but want to check with the experts here to make sure, pics below.

The Plate in question,

DSCF1976.jpg

Where I think it came from,

DSCF1975.jpg

Where I put it,

DSCF1977.jpg

Fire behavior after the plate was put back, flames going up over the plate.

DSCF1979.jpg

That looks like the air manifold for below the door.There are a couple of pins on the floor bythe door. Look at your owners manual at the exploded view.

Resiburner said:
That looks like the air manifold for below the door.There are a couple of pins on the floor bythe door. Look at your owners manual at the exploded view.
Right on the money!

???? No idea what you mean, I am sure that is where it was? Must have been wrong from the factory?

Old Spark, what number is it on the exploded view? #24, boost manifold? I remember seeing the pins now that you mention it. How do I put it back in correctly?

SKIN052 said:
Old Spark, what number is it on the exploded view? #24, boost manifold? I remember seeing the pins now that you mention it. How do I put it back in correctly?
On page 14 it is #24 and on page 16 it is #22.

It just sets in there on the pins I believe, I can reach in and pluck it out in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the help, if you look at the first pic would the part facing me be the bottom?

Yes the holes go to the bottom and the notches go in the door frame, so do you think the dealer had it in there wrong.

I am letting the fire die out and will look at where to but the baffle back. Now off to install a garage door, the Manuel for that thing is bigger than for the stove!!!!! and much more frustrating!!!

oldspark said:
Yes the holes go to the bottom and the notches go in the door frame, so do you think the dealer had it in there wrong.

Must have, that is the only excuse I can come up with? I remember seeing it there before.

Plate is back in place and good to go. The garage door on the other hand has me beat!!!!

Check you're chimney.

I put my boost baffle in backwards last year (set up is alittle different between the 2 units).

Chimney clogged in a heart beat.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Check you're chimney.

I put my boost baffle in backwards last year (set up is alittle different between the 2 units).

Dix you are the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread this morning. :)

BrotherBart said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Check you're chimney.

Dix you are the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread this morning. :)

Yep, it was classic OMG moment :)

And you were right, BB. The manual is NOT clear on this issue.

I know it now by rout ;-)

After I installed the plate the first thing I did was check the chimney, not bad but still way to dirty for 2 weeks of burning. Season is ALMOST over so I will clean it up good at the end. Thanks again.

Can someone explain to me why it clogs up the chimney, SKIN052 did you have a flue temp thermometer.

oldspark said:
Can someone explain to me why it clogs up the chimney, SKIN052 did you have a flue temp thermometer.
Yes and No, I have a flue temp thermometer but since I have in reality, 4 walls ( they used a telescopic pipe but did not extend it) I just lay it on the stove for a rough guess. Seems to work.

I have no idea why it would clog the chimney, no idea at all.

oldspark said:

I believe it has something to do with the air flow through the stove.

The Pacific Insert has a sneaky boost baffle. It will fit in to it's spot in the "right" or "wrong" way. Holes up, or down? Good question when you should have paid attention before you took it out :smirk:

I put the baffle in with the holes pointing to the back of the stove. Looked great when I left the house.

Posted on here asking a question about it during the day, rechecked when I got home, turned the baffle the correct way, and the next night....... noxious fumes spewing. ( I have no doubt as a first year burner last year, that my wood was not the best, so the chimney was probably already working on clogged before said incident).

But a lesson learned ;-)

Wait now, Which way is this baffle supoosed to go?? the holes do not point toward the back of the stove?? Benn running that way for two years and no significant chimney build up.

the holes in the air boost manifold (thingy in question) point towards the back of the stove. holes in baffle point down.

Say what now? I am near death with a cold and have no energy to go take a pic, but............The plate that I put back simply lodged between the pins and the door frame (nice and neat), the air boost that it covers has holes that point towards the back of the stove, the plate simply goes over top of the air boost, so of course the holes point toward the back of the stove? You fellows have a sick man confused.

SKIN052 said:
Say what now? I am near death with a cold and have no energy to go take a pic, but............The plate that I put back simply lodged between the pins and the door frame (nice and neat), the air boost that it covers has holes that point towards the back of the stove, the plate simply goes over top of the air boost, so of course the holes point toward the back of the stove? You fellows have a sick man confused.
No reason to be confused, I am pretty sure you have got it right, go to bed and take care of your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.