Lopi Berkshire in need of repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldout

Oct 15, 2013
Wyoming
I am a little behind in trying to get some supplemental heat going in our living area. I spotted this real nice looking Lopi Berkshire nearby, but the ad says that it needs a thermocouple or thermopile.

Buying something that needs fixed from the get go is not normally something I would do but the price seems decent considering the retail. I can't find any info on the price of these parts, but more importantly, I worry what else might it need that could be costly. I don't know how old the model is. For $750, what do you guys think? Could I be stepping into something expensive to fix or are these units pretty affordable to repair?

Last edited:
Did you take a look at it? Is it in good condition? How old is it? IMHO, that's a nice looking stove, & depending on the insulation in your home & the outside temps, it'll heat anywhere from 450 to 750 sq. ft. There generally isn't much that can go wrong with a Direct Vent gas unit. If the pilot doesn't stay lit, it's probably the thermocouple. It the pilot stays lit, but the burner won't come on, it's probably the thermopile. A simple multimeter can be used to test either of these items, but you need to have them put to a flame somehow. A member here, Woodheat stoves will probably have the parts you need, & they're not that expensive. We can talk you thru the replacement. If it's in good shape, I'd go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.