Lopi Declaration - Stiff air control handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramurphy86

Sep 6, 2015
California
Hello,

Thank you to everyone who helped me settle on the declaration, LOVE my wood stove.

Had it installed a few months ago and have really been enjoying it. Took a while to figure out the air control and getting the secondaries to kick it, makes all the difference in the world.

Recently, I have noticed that the air control (bottom) handle is stiff / not easy to pull in and out. Has anyone had any experience with this? Hoping there is an easy fix as this thing is (as you are well aware) outrageously heavy. It is stiff enough that I am asking about it, still does come in and out, but doesn't really do so as easily as when it was first installed. Can't believe there is anything that could have gotten in there and "clogged" something, so don't understand how this could have gotten so stiff so quickly...

Not sure if this would work for you or not, but on the Oslo air control a bit of graphite powder applied to the sliding mechanism allows a much easier metal to metal movement.

The graphite powder does work on this. You will need to remove the ends on both the air control and the bypass rods. Then remove the decorative face.

If it's less than a year old, the hearth store that installed it should take care of it for you.

I got it used and installed by a third party, so store won't be any help. I can take the decorative façade off and get in there, is this a semi common problem? Is there a parts diagram out there to see what is going wrong? Is it just a matter of adding a high temperature grease to a part?

I got it used and installed by a third party, so store won't be any help. I can take the decorative façade off and get in there, is this a semi common problem? Is there a parts diagram out there to see what is going wrong? Is it just a matter of adding a high temperature grease to a part?
Ya, it's not a big deal really. Something that needs periodic lubrication.
How old is the stove?

Got it, thank you. So somewhat intuitive once I take the face plate off, should be able to pretty clearly identify what needs to be lubricated?

You want to use something dry for lubricant. Fly ash will attach to wet grease making the problem worse. I sprayed mine in the beginning of the year with silicon. It may not have been the best idea because it smelled for several hours. It moved much easier. Dry graphite power sounds like a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.