Lopi large flush hybrid cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joewasilla28

Oct 26, 2018
Norwich, New York
Happy Holidays everyone. We ended up getting the Lopi large flush hybrid installed this past friday and I feel like I'm starting to get a feel for how to work it, but I'm kind of confused about how to overnight burn. I've been loading it up on a good bed of coals, engaging the cat at about 600 degrees and waiting for it to get up to about 900 before dialing back the air. I go to about 3/4 shut, but in the morning the cat temp is down under 500. This morning it was 220, yesterday it was 105. Is this going to mess up the stove somehow? A.m.I doing the overnight burn correctly? The insert pumps out incredible heat, and looks so darn nice! But I haven't been getting great burn times. I know they claim 10 hours but I've been getting 5 or 6 at most during the day. I realized that I hadn't been packing the stove tight with wood, and guess that is probably why. I've been reading a lot of the threads about this stove and am hoping we made the right choice!!! My wife loved the flush look and overall look, as did I, and the dealer really talked up Lopi and Travis, and this stove. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks
Ooops....Realized I didn't say that the stove is on main floor, which is about 1400 sq ft. Chimney is middle of house. House is pretty tight. Not drafty, well insulated. Not a particularly open floor plan, but whole floor stays 70 with one ceiling fan moving the air and the oil furnace hasn't come on once!

Last edited:
Happy Holidays everyone. We ended up getting the Lopi large flush hybrid installed this past friday and I feel like I'm starting to get a feel for how to work it, but I'm kind of confused about how to overnight burn. I've been loading it up on a good bed of coals, engaging the cat at about 600 degrees and waiting for it to get up to about 900 before dialing back the air. I go to about 3/4 shut, but in the morning the cat temp is down under 500. This morning it was 220, yesterday it was 105. Is this going to mess up the stove somehow? A.m.I doing the overnight burn correctly? The stove pumps out incredible heat, and looks so darn nice! But I haven't been getting great burn times. I know they claim 10 hours but I've been getting 5 or 6 at most during the day. I realized that I hadn't been packing the stove tight with wood, and guess that is probably why. I've been reading a lot of the threads about this stove and am hoping we made the right choice!!! My wife loved the flush look and overall look, as did I, and the dealer really talked up Lopi and Travis, and this stove. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks

I would engage the cat at 500. At the end of the burn the cat will cool off and there is no harm when it drops below 500 since all the fuel for it has burned out. Unless there is still chunks in there then either your wood was too wet, closed off the air too much for your application. If it is just an ashy mess and some coals it’s all good. I also don’t pay attention to the combustor temp after 500. I’ve had it as hot as 1300 before. No big deal there at all.

Your burntimes are about what I get with my rockport and the only way to get more is to pack the stove full and that is a challenge due to the layout of the firebox. So careful planning of wood size and shape is needed to get the most out of it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Try dialing back the air sooner for a longer burn.

Ok. Thanks a lot for the replies! I'll closer off the air earlier as you say. And yes, in the morning there's a few coals still smoldering with lots of ash, so its really good to know its doing what it's supposed to , andI feel much better knowing that there's no harm when the temp drops down below 500. For some reason I was thinking the temp had to stay above 500or it would damage the combuster. I've had the temp reach 1200 but it mostly hovers about 650 or 700 when i finally get it "trimmed" out. I love the damn thing! Thanks again!

Reactions: darktower007
I'm reassured by this thread. Just got a Lopi Small Hybrid Insert, for heat and pleasure, though I'm not expecting it to substitute for the furnace. I'm trying to learn how it works. Today, the combustion chamber was at 1250 or so. I was reading the overfiring threads, which talk about temps of 800 as being too high. I'm assuming that catalytic combustion is different. My cat doesn't even start to glow till 900, and people talk about the glowing cat as a feature, not an alarm bell.

Can a Lopi hybrid get too high, and if so, what would too high be? I called the dealer earlier today, and they didn't really answer. The guy had to go ask someone else, and came back and said if it looks like it's really, really going, you might dial back the air. The descriptions in the overfire threads seem to suggest that once a stove starts to overfire, that the air control doesn't have much effect, short of jury-rigging ways of blocking air flow that even the tightest normal setting allows.

Just keep the air pulled back once it’s up to temp, you really don’t have much control over cat temps. It burns smokes, and reacts to it.