Lopi Leyden combustor replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilleburner

Oct 12, 2014
Asheville,nc
Last winter I was cleaning a chunk of debris out of the combustor brick in my lopi Leyden, and accidentally stuck my poker through a thin section of the combustor pack behind the brick. Big mistake! I've since ordered a new combustor pack and followed the directions to replace it. I've removed the side and back fire bricks, combustor brick, back plate, damper bypass, etc. I positioned the new pack in its correct location, and began installing the back plate, however, unbeknownst me, the back plate has a slight curvature to it (bows towards the front of the stove, away from the combustor). For this reason, there is a 1/4" gap between the combustor and metal back plate in the middle of the combustor...no where near airtight. The combustor pack comes with an interam gasket attached to the front (which expands with heat to seal between the back plate) but I don't think it will overcome a 1/4" gap. Any suggestions for how to fill this gap (ie fire cement, gasket cement)?

Thanks for any advice.

Bummer. These stoves are too fragile IMO. I'm wondering if the bowed curve could be traced onto a template cardboard then gently carved out of the refractory to match?

Reactions: webby3650
That plate is steel, have you tried bending it back into place? Lay it flat on the ground and have your way with it. Be innovative, use the truck if you need too!

Status
Not open for further replies.