Lopi Stove angle iron fell out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

centaurcoach

Sep 3, 2011
Central PA
I have a medium sized Lopi stove. I believe it is the Endeavor model, but not sure, but 24 " wide. Last winter a piece of angle iron fell down from the front upper fire brick area. It does not appear to have been welded in place. There are no holes in it for bolts. Could it have simply been sitting on top of the fire bricks or the front ledge? The stove worked fine without this piece, but I would like to get this right. Does anyone have a clue what I am referring to?

Here are some photos attached. The bottom two photos show the piece replaced on top of the fire bricks and then on top of the ledge above the door. Either way it could easily fall back down if you close the door hard a couple times.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• mystery stove piece.jpg
    mystery stove piece.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 4,190
Yes, I have a clue what you're talking about. The way those stoves are built, the baffle above the secondary air tubes consists of firebrick that are supported in part by transverse angle irons. These angle irons are neither welded nor bolted to anything. They are set in, supported on the ends, and the firebricks that make up the baffle are set in on top. There is a specific configuration to the baffle arrangement. The baffle is built this way to be substantial but removeable for stove/flue cleaning. My Lopi Liberty owner's manual has a detailed description with diagrams in the maintenance section. Your stove should have a nameplate on the front that identifies the model (looks like an Endeavor to me). You should have (or obtain) a copy of the owner's manual. Without that piece of angle iron properly in place, some of the baffle firebricks are resting directly atop the secondary air tubes...not a way I would burn in my stove. Rick

fossil said:
Your stove should have a nameplate on the front that identifies the model (looks like an Endeavor to me). Rick

If it's an Endeavor it's an older model, the Endeavor doesn't have firebrick all the way across the back of the stove. The center is metal for what I believe is the secondary air. The front iron in the Endeavors baffle is also a little different, it's bent in more of a circular shape to clear/wrap the front burn tube.

So Rick, it's not a way you would burn your stove. So tell me how this should go. I don't want to burn my stove in any way that is improper. In your stove... is this angle iron not on top of the fire brick, but beneath the fire brick and supporting it? This is why I posed the question here in this forum. I wouldn't want to burn my stove any way you wouldn't want to burn your stove. I am asking for some help here. How should this angle iron be placed in this stove? If you know, just tell me. Thanks.

centaurcoach, I believe Rick was just saying, yes, you are right to be concerned about where this came from, so check your manual to see where it goes. Mark posted the link to the manual and pointed you to the page where there is a schematic of where the angle iron came from. Hopefully that's the same setup as your stove and will do the trick to get it back where it belongs! If it's a different model it might even work in a similar manner, hopefully!

I would think the way it's in your hand if you turn it up that "may" be the right way in the stove. One edge will support the bricks, it won't go to the front of the stove, the exhaust gasses exit the top front of the stove and travel above the baffle to the flue exit.

I've attached your picture with the way I would "try" it out, the support for the angle iron will come from the sides of the stove above the side firebricks not the front.

It's hard to help with this type of issue by typing it out but I hope this helps to get you pointed in the right direction.

Attachments

• mystery stove piece.jpg
    mystery stove piece.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,824
centaurcoach said:
...In your stove... is this angle iron not on top of the fire brick, but beneath the fire brick and supporting it?...

Yes, in my Liberty that's the case. I've never had an Endeavor, but the design/construction is so similar I can't imagine it being different...but then, the owner's manual specific to your stove is the definitive reference, not my speculation. Rick

ETA: The diagram on page 29 of the manual that Mark provided to you above is pretty much in line with the way my Liberty is configured.

Not sure what model that is. It has a nameplate in the upper right front corner, but too small to read in the picture. My Endeavor is 21" wide, so either this is an early version, or ?

Anyway, I have a similar bar in my stove, but slightly different. Where yours is sort of a "z" in cross-section, mine is a "?". It rests on two tabs that are welded on either side just under the firebricks. The flat portion supports the bricks, while the curved portion of the "?", if you will, goes over the top of the tube. In your case, one flat edge goes under the bricks, and the other up and over the tube. I hope that makes sense.

I can tell from the picture that that is not the endeavor. It is the answer. The endeavor has a steptop. Just to be sure because i could be wrong, check the name plate on the front top right corner of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.