Love the smell....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Last week I split a bit of oak and stacked it under my deck - about 2/3 cord. I stacked it there just to get it out of the way and see my progress as I know I'll have to move it again. Anyway, this is near the end of my driveway.

I've noticed the last couple days that when I park I can smell this pile as I park when I get home from work... what a nice smell :) Doubt I'd buy the scent if they made a perfume out of it, but it sure is a nice reminder that it is drying out there...

I love the smell of Oak in the morning... Smells like victory... Someday this winter's gonna end...

Probably, but you've got a month before it even starts. :lol:

I have some big cookies of oak from my farmer buddy son who cut down a 42 incher and it stinks every time I walk by it. I did just cut and split some dead standing cedar to take to my ladies house as she likes the smell as it burns. I might get some points this weekend. ;-P

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I have some big cookies of oak from my farmer buddy son who cut down a 42 incher and it stinks every time I walk by it. I did just cut and split some dead standing cedar to take to my ladies house as she likes the smell as it burns. I might get some points this weekend. ;-P

Shipper

take her some cherry as well thats a lot of points there....

Had a big oak fall last summer. Cut that baby up and split it over the following week. That pile and my whole yard smelled like that for a month. Funny thing is it seems to attract all sorts of flying insects in the summer.

CTwoodburner said:
Had a big oak fall last summer. Cut that baby up and split it over the following week. That pile and my whole yard smelled like that for a month. Funny thing is it seems to attract all sorts of flying insects in the summer.

Perhaps that is one benefit of splitting this time of year - fewer or no bugs flying around.

CTburns said:
Is it me or does White Oak smell much stronger than Red Oak?
With my old nose, I would say the red has a much stronger smell than white and seems to take longer to season.

Shipper

Seems all I have had so far is Red so I don't have any comparison to judge by. I'm sure hoping that if I leave this sitting under the deck for at least a good part of this winter it will get a decent start on the seasoning process though. It is a better area for wind/air flow than others I have and reasonably well covered. I'm not willing to leave it sitting there once bugs get active again as it is rather close to the house which is a shame since it means moving it... however I do have a dreamy idea of building a HH out of it.

I love the smell of fresh split wood also...My wife looks at me crazy when I split a round then pick it up and smell it...I just look back and say "what?"....She shakes her head...We have an understanding...I think....

I would'nt say I really love the smell, but it is satisfying. Like hard work done.

I cut a red oak down last week split and stacked it over the weekend. I know what you mean about the smell i could have stood out there all day and taken in the wonderful smell of victory!!

Most fresh cut wood has a pleasant odor, including oaks. There seem to be plenty on here that do not like the smell of oak but I do. There are not many that do not smell too good but a few like cottonwood, popple, some elm, etc. But cut into sassafras and you have an odor that anyone should love!

Funny thing to me is that my wife says she hasn't noticed the smell at all. Guess that could be a good thing if it turned out to be a smell she didn't like, but how could she miss it? Oh well, maybe if she were splitting the wood she'd be more aware of it. She did notice that I "cleaned up" the end of the driveway. Sad thing is that it may be 2-3 weeks before I get to spend any more quality time splitting rounds... going out of town for Thanksgiving and then recovering from that etc... ug.

Status
Not open for further replies.