Low Flame/High flame question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

transient_one

Oct 17, 2013
Missouri
Hi all, been browsing the boards for a bit and can't seem to find an answer...hopefully someone can help.

We recently purchased and installed a Regency HZ54e - - terrific unit and we love the look.

One question though, the installers left yesterday and said that it's perfect and set. However we're finding that the high flame is quite low compared to the unit we saw at the showroom floor....as well it does not even come close to the output we see in manufacturer video's/pictures.

The installer is stating that the venting (that they provided) is the problem and is the reason for the low flame. I think they are trying to pull a fast one, and want us to pay for the install...I'm not yet satisfied with the install and holding out as we do more research.

Does anyone have knowledge if venting can really play that large of a part in flame height? If it helps, the current configuration of venting is a 4' rise from the fireplace, then a 90 degree turn which exits outside to the vent cap about 7' away and mounted on an exterior wall.

thank you in advance for any insight or help!

There are a number of things that could be happening, but the first place to check is at the gas valve under the unit. Has anyone put a manometer on the gas valve inlet port to see if the gas pressure is correct? If it's too low, you will never get the flames you want. Second place to check is the gas line itself. How much gas line did they run to the unit? What size is it? What size pipe is it tapped into? How many appliances are also fed by the gas line?

Thanks so much!

I do not recall anyone using a manometer, I'll ask that question. Inside our basement there is a 1" black metal pipe which supplies the gas, the line for this particular fireplace splits off from the 1" pipe using approximately 35' of TracPipe CounterStrike® 1/2" which the plumber ran and hooked-up. As for total appliances there are 5: water heater, furnace, upstairs fireplace, bedroom fireplace, and this new fireplace. Of the five appliances only the water heater is pulling any gas at this time.

Thanks so much!

I do not recall anyone using a manometer, I'll ask that question. Inside our basement there is a 1" black metal pipe which supplies the gas, the line for this particular fireplace splits off from the 1" pipe using approximately 35' of TracPipe CounterStrike® 1/2" which the plumber ran and hooked-up. As for total appliances there are 5: water heater, furnace, upstairs fireplace, bedroom fireplace, and this new fireplace. Of the five appliances only the water heater is pulling any gas at this time.
Have them check the pressure at the gas valve. 35 feet of 1/2" diameter is pushing it. 1/2" should not be run over 30 feet. I don't have the gas charts in front of me or I could give you exact numbers. I'm thinkin you're not getting enough gas to the unit. Your installer might be better off running 15 feet of 3/4" before dropping down to 1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.