low pressure-not enough air in basement to run older Jotul stove-wood not burning properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boots5050

Hearth Supporter
Sep 26, 2008
connecticut
My older (1980) Jotul model 118 is located in my basement along with my 24/7 pellet stove, my dryer and my furnace which kicks on periodically as well as my clothes dryer. My basement is so air tight i cannot provide enough air to run my stove properly. Huge amounts of buildup in my pipe.Any suggestions??

There are some products available that allow combustion air to enter the home near the stove, never seen one in operation. Buying a new stove with an outside air kit would probably be your best option, then you could get rid of that $$$ gobbling Pellet stove. :coolsmirk: I bet the savings of not running that pellet stove will pay for a new stove in short order, a new stove will use about 30% less wood and will hold alot more wood. I had a 118 in the past, good heater, used a lot of wood, didn't even compare to my F500 in output or burn time, best investment I ever made.

You may have to run a pipe to the outside and have it end near your stove. I am far from an expert as to how big of a vent like a 4" dryer vent type pipe or something smaller like 1 1/2 or 2" pvc pipe. If you're in a new air tight home this sounds like it may be your solution. Have you checked with your dealer there may be a kit you could buy.

Good luck.

Brian

I think with that many appliances in the basement competing for air, the only option might be an outside air kit which is not available for the 118. A new dryer can easily pull 1700 cfm, that would be hard to overcome. You might be able to fabricate an outside air kit though. Somebody around here has probably done that.

smokingolf said:
You may have to run a pipe to the outside and have it end near your stove.
+1

It doesn't have to be sealed to the stove. It can be simply a general purpose makeup air supply to the home. By bringing it close to the stove, the cold air can be warmed by the stove. If it can direct the outside air toward the stove's air intake, the stove will consume mostly dry outside air rather than humid indoor air that can add to the buildup in the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.