Low temp alarm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I've seen some pretty neat setups for the high temp alarms... Anyone rig something up for a low temp alarm?

It's the first year with our Castine and I'm "learning". I'm burning mostly leftover dry punky pine that's the consistancy of styrofoam. Getting an acurate guage on burn time has been difficult. We had the hardwood delivered in August and I think it's going to need a bit more seasoning before it's ready; hence why I'm burning the crappy stuff first.

I'd love to rig something up that sets off an alarm when the stove temp hits about 250. That seems to be the temp when there's still a good bed of coals and tossing on the splits will result in things taking off in short order. I seem to always miss the 250 temp by 100 degrees and I'm down stairs at 2:30AM, nursing the fire back to a respecatble level from a few pea sized coals.

Skier76 said:
I've seen some pretty neat setups for the high temp alarms... Anyone rig something up for a low temp alarm?

It's the first year with our Castine and I'm "learning". I'm burning mostly leftover dry punky pine that's the consistancy of styrofoam. Getting an acurate guage on burn time has been difficult. We had the hardwood delivered in August and I think it's going to need a bit more seasoning before it's ready; hence why I'm burning the crappy stuff first.

I'd love to rig something up that sets off an alarm when the stove temp hits about 250. That seems to be the temp when there's still a good bed of coals and tossing on the splits will result in things taking off in short order. I seem to always miss the 250 temp by 100 degrees and I'm down stairs at 2:30AM, nursing the fire back to a respecatble level from a few pea sized coals.
It should be just as easy to rig up a low temp alarm as it is to do a high temp alarm. Contact the guys making them and I'm sure they can take care of you.

OTOH, are you starting to see why we suggested going with the larger stove??? It's nice having a pretty stove, but those 2 AM reloads get old REAL quick! It's amazing how unattractive a stove can become at 2 AM... :)

:lol: LOL! Trust me, it's the wood. I could have the biggest Jotul (or any other brand) loaded with this stuff and hours later....pea coals.

That's a nice setup wes. What did that run you to build?

The parts are a little over $100, labor $1,000,000 ;-)

WES999 said:
The parts are a little over $100, labor $1,000,000 ;-)

The labor is always a killer! I'll do a search for some of your old posts and see what I can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.