LP Gas Company Gauging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

I wasn't sure which forum this should go in so please move if its not in the correct one.

I live in Northwest NJ and my 20 year old development (20+ homes) is LP for Heat, Hot water, Stove. Amerigas is the main player for my development and most folks around me. Summer lock-in rates last year was 2.30 a gallon and this year its 2.46 a gallon, I think it got up to the mid $3 range if you paid at the time of delivery. Its not that big of a deal for me, thanks to my investment in a Quad 7100 (and making improvements in my house) I have reduced my yearly propane usage from 1600 gallons 3 years ago to 214 gallons last year.

Ok so last night my neighbor called me, and told me he was doing a job for a customer in a different town and they compared LP costs. This customer told him he paid 1.30 last year and this year its 1.70 (the guy was complaining), with the same company Amerigas. My neighbor couldn't believe it and had the guy show him a copy of a statement. Apparently this guy's development got together and got some kind of pricing block. Have any of you heard about this? If you're apart of one of these how did you go about setting it up. I'd like to setup a similar lock for my street but I'm worried that the LP company is just going to laugh at me. Any tips would be appreciated.

Now I know that LP is not regulated at least in NJ and companies are in business to make money. But in this day and age where people are struggling to get by and keep the heat on and a company is selling a product for 1.30 and a couple towns away for 2.30 (my street is actually closer to the distribution center), I don't know that just seems wrong. I'm all for capitalism but this seems to be heavy gauging. Is LP regulated in any states in US?

Matt

The fact they don't contract anymore and how the retailer was going to gouge me when I needed a fill up during the winter two years ago is the reason why I now heat with wood. I had enough seasoned firewood from storm damaged trees that I had accumulated previously to last the last half of winter and that was my big push to heat with wood with no regrets.

I agree $2.46 seems like usury when the Nymex futures price for propane has been in the 1.10-1.30 range so far this summer. I don't know anything about delivery charges (you will have to research that) but I would seriously look into forming a neighborhood co-operative and buy a contract or 2 or 3 of wholesale propane depending upon the amount you need. Of course it will have to be a collective effort and dependent upon your research for the costs of delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.