m55 insert pellet feed trim rate too fast on lowest setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BenX said:
j-takeman said:
Was it set on high fire and after at least 1 hour of running? It will be slightly lower if it wasn't up to full temp.

Every pellet brand may require some tinkering. The setting is ball park and can be increased as needed. They don't list a setting for low fire. But if you have the gauge you can check it and graually increase it to your liking. Playtime. ;-)

Post the pellet brand name if you would. I'd also try the regular pellet mode and let the agitator help you. Some premiums aren't always premiums!

'Premium Bio Synergy Wood Pellet Fuel'
These are the best pellets I have used. Pellet quality, imo, isn't the issue.
On regular pellets mode the auger runs more frequently and pushes the pellets out prematurely.
I will play with the damper.

You say the pellets burn slower? Then its is the pellets causing the issue. If you can't reduce the feed trim any more? Than you must increase the blower trim or adjust the damper air.

Problem with pellets that burn slower is they tend to be smothered by the next feed of the auger as they don't get a chance to burn up. Mixing them with the agitator will also help them from being smothered. I aint no rookie and have burned many many brands with my Omega. Some that were absolute junk or dirt in a bag! Same engine as the M55 but my agitator runs with the auger feed. I have never had a pellet back up in my stove. Or had pellets that didn't finish burning get dumped over the side into the ash pan. Just saying!

the edges of the fire pot will tend to fill up with ash and stop the hot coals and unburend pellets from falling out i run the same stove on 5 and after cleaning it will dump some unburned pellets but after a few hours tends to go away

j-takeman said:
BenX said:
j-takeman said:
Was it set on high fire and after at least 1 hour of running? It will be slightly lower if it wasn't up to full temp.

Every pellet brand may require some tinkering. The setting is ball park and can be increased as needed. They don't list a setting for low fire. But if you have the gauge you can check it and graually increase it to your liking. Playtime. ;-)

Post the pellet brand name if you would. I'd also try the regular pellet mode and let the agitator help you. Some premiums aren't always premiums!

On regular pellets mode the auger runs more frequently and pushes the pellets out prematurely.

You say the pellets burn slower? Then its is the pellets causing the issue. If you can't reduce the feed trim any more? Than you must increase the blower trim or adjust the damper air.

Problem with pellets that burn slower is they tend to be smothered by the next feed of the auger as they don't get a chance to burn up. Mixing them with the agitator will also help them from being smothered. I aint no rookie and have burned many many brands with my Omega. Some that were absolute junk or dirt in a bag! Same engine as the M55 but my agitator runs with the auger feed. I have never had a pellet back up in my stove. Or had pellets that didn't finish burning get dumped over the side into the ash pan. Just saying!

I assumed that having more time between agitating would help give the pellets time to burn. Maybe like you say the opposite is true, more frequent agitating could help them burn.
So, you never have glowing ambers kicked into the ashpan?

BenX said:
j-takeman said:
BenX said:
j-takeman said:

I assumed that having more time between agitating would help give the pellets time to burn. Maybe like you say the opposite is true, more frequent agitating could help them burn.
So, you never have glowing ambers kicked into the ashpan?

Only after I first clean it like stoveguy13 said. Once it has a good bed of ash there, It acts like a blocker and only ash will fall into the pan. Doesn't hurt to try it. I'll eat my hat if I am wrong! ;-)

Mine will push a glowing pellet into the ashpan every once in a while. It's not like it never happens. But, if it was constantly doing this...I would increase the air with the damper or trim depending on how bad it is. Sometimes the glowing pellet will catch the unburned pellets in the ashpan on fire and they they will slowly burn out on their own. But that is a rare occurence and usually only happens on higher settings.

flynfrfun said:
Mine will push a glowing pellet into the ashpan every once in a while. It's not like it never happens. But, if it was constantly doing this...I would increase the air with the damper or trim depending on how bad it is. Sometimes the glowing pellet will catch the unburned pellets in the ashpan on fire and they they will slowly burn out on their own. But that is a rare occurence and usually only happens on higher settings.

I think the fingers I added help here too! I keep forgetting I have a moded stove. Shame on me! :red:

I scraped the top of the ash pile off to reveal the unburned glowing ambers.
here's a pic

Attachments

• P1020696.jpg
    P1020696.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 230
Are they still glowing when they fall into the ashpan? If not, I don't think you have a problem. I think its normal for the ashes to glow for a while as they get pushed to the outer edges of the burn pot liner. But, if they are still glowing when they are getting pushed into the ashpan, then yes you definitely want to adjust for more air.

I agree with flyn, I'd take a picture on mine but is off right now. But its normal. Once to the edge it cools from the top down as they say. I see no issue!

Hows the ash color on the glass?

looks about same as mine as well. if the glass is getting black what setting air you adjusting the air on?

should be more white then black if it is black the air needs to be adjusted

j-takeman said:
I think the fingers I added help here too! I keep forgetting I have a moded stove. Shame on me! :red:

Yeah...no fair! ;-)

BenX said:
black, why?

Should be at least chocalote color. Black is a bit rich. You'll need to add more air. You can use the blower trim or open the damper. Because you had the stove set with a mag, I'd use the blower trim. Unless you are at the max, Then I'd open the damper some. Do you have your own gauge?

BenX said:
Is there a way too further decrease the feed trim rate?

If this is the M55 cast? They did have a cover for the auger that was an upgrade. Its adjustable and will help reduce the amount of pellets feed to the burnpot.

You should also put the stove model in your sig for future reference. I also recommend adding the pellet brands too. Good info for us when you are asking for advice.

I am burning premium hardwood pellets. Set to premium pellets, manual setting 3 with combustion air on 3 and feed trim on 1. These pellets burn so slowly that even with the feed trim on lowest setting, they are still glowing ash when they are pushed into the ash pan. Same thing on manual setting 2 to a slightly lesser degree.
Is there a way to help the pellets burn up faster?
Is there a way too further decrease the feed trim rate?
Problem solved - was caused by poor quality pellets

If those pellets are extremely dense and of small average length you may have to both increase your draft trim and decrease your feed trim to bring the fuel/air ration into balance.

Also you didn't tell us what that flex was attached to in the way of its diameter and if it went that diameter all the way to the cap. It is also possible that there is some "backpressure" do to the vent setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.