m55 vs mt vernon ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
Told ya, picking on a fire god could be a bad omen! ;-)

hey! it was smoke show not me ! ;)

What was the height of the old MT Vernon? Would the other(I wont say the brand!) fit??

The dry wall inside is easy to repair. Its the dang outside that's tough. What you have for siding?

If its vinyl you can usually remove it and raise the pieces with the hole up to the new height. If you only cut a round hole its even better cause you can usually arrange the pieces to fit around the new hole with j channel installed.

j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:

What was the height of the old MT Vernon? Would the other(I wont say the brand!) fit??

The dry wall inside is easy to repair. Its the dang outside that's tough. What you have for siding?

If its vinyl you can usually remove it and raise the pieces with the hole up to the new height. If you only cut a round hole its even better cause you can usually arrange the pieces to fit around the new hole with j channel installed.

that was my initial thought exactly go with the M55 lol but i was to mad at myself to ask any current owners what the measurement is. Hope the Admins dont get mad this thread is getting long
my pipe is 15 1/2 inches from the floor to center of pipe
AE is 19 1/2
For a pro moving the thimble would probably be easy, but for me even though my first install was perfect is to close for comfort
If anyone with a M55 cast could get that measurement for me i'd appreciate it I'm going to search online for it too

Unreal ! the measurement of the M55 is 15 1/2 perfect !

Now what to do ,... i dont like the idea of bringing this stove back to the dealer ( i unpackaged it and all from the crate )

Im also gonna have to go with 4" pipe so this new 3" install/pipe is a waste

yeah J Vinyl and i cut the hole tight around the thimble so im in good shape to get out of this ok with some help :)

oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:

that was my initial thought exactly go with the M55 lol but i was to mad at myself to ask any current owners what the measurement is. Hope the Admins dont get mad this thread is getting long
my pipe is 15 1/2 inches from the floor to center of pipe
AE is 19 1/2
For a pro moving the thimble would probably be easy, but for me even though my first install was perfect is to close for comfort
If anyone with a M55 cast could get that measurement for me i'd appreciate it I'm going to search online for it too

That sux the vent won't line up.
I'm thinkin if ya jump on the enviro bandwagon, Jay will install it for u. :)

Isn't the vent offset from the center of the stove too? It looks like the non-AE is centered like my Castile. Since you have a corner install (like me) isn't that as much of a problem as the height, assuming you want to keep the stove centered in the corner? I know I was thinking about it if I ever upgrade my Castile to a Mt. Vernon AE. That alone made me feel that I made a good choice going straight out like you did because going up then out wouldn't have helped with the vent offset from center. I accepted the fact I would need a new vent/thimble location.

If I recall correctly the M55 is offset also, but to the opposite side!

oldmountvernon said:
Unreal ! the measurement of the M55 is 15 1/2 perfect !

Now what to do ,... i dont like the idea of bringing this stove back to the dealer ( i unpackaged it and all from the crate )

Im also gonna have to go with 4" pipe so this new 3" install/pipe is a waste

You got to be kinding! ;-) Its a heck of a lot easier installing the larger thimble and pipe that it is to relocate the hole! No brainer for me!

Yeah Don everything you mention is 100% correct!

Why did i have to be stubborn and buy a used one to satisfy myself before spending the load on a new one!
i should of vented the used one out a window temporarily

And J as Don pointed out the exhaust on the M55 is on the opposite side i cant win lol

you could get a 4inch to 3inch reducer or raise your hearth pad 4inches 2x4 on edge plus thickness of your hearthpad might get you 4 inches. then cap 2x4 with pine and stain Or suck it up and get the enviro like we told you to lol.

Hope it works out for you

kykel the 4 inches is the other way down, not up

Maybe post sum pics of what you got(inside and out) and between everyone here we could figure out a solution.

scrap that Idea then. I went from 3 inch old stove to 4inch new stove. The hole was only off an inch but the new thimble was smaller and didnt cover outside. I had to cut the old thimble face plate off and cover the new one to cover the hole in the wall. I got lucky. If you have wood shingles the outside is an easy fix, I have vinyl siding not as easy to fix. Hopefully the installers can come up with an easy solution.

Ok looked at pics. I wonder if you used a 45 down and a 45 up making the shape of an "s" would work.

smoke show said:
Maybe post sum pics of what you got(inside and out) and between everyone here we could figure out a solution.

Sure you could just cut the legs of the MV! ;-)

This is what I was talking about. Look at the vent locations. It's a problem for corner installs like we have.

Attachments

• Mt Vernon Top.jpg
    Mt Vernon Top.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Mt Vernon AE Top.jpg
    Mt Vernon AE Top.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Enviro Cast M55 Top.jpg
    Enviro Cast M55 Top.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Castile Top.jpg
    Castile Top.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 168
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:

Sure you could just cut the legs of the MV! ;-)

J no lie i told my buddy when we placed it , I'll cut the %%@&#* legs

smoke show said:

What im gonna do right now is remove the wall thimble. Attach the pipe and thimble to the stove and move the stove into place. That should show me if the thimble will cover the existing hole

oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:

What im gonna do right now is remove the wall thimble. Attach the pipe and thimble to the stove and move the stove into place. That should show me if the thimble will cover the existing hole

Keep digging, You'll get it!

Maybe a custom plate for the thimble on the outside?

j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:

Finally some sensible words. :cheese:

One way or another you'll figure it out, even if the outside thimble ends up 4'x4' ;-)

j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe something nice. Some brass? Copper (so it gets some patina)? Brushed Stainless?

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:

Finally some sensible words. :cheese:

One way or another you'll figure it out, even if the outside thimble ends up 4'x4' ;-)

You started it! ;-) Just jumping in for encouragement! ;-P

Getting back on track, hope it works out for ya OMV.

Keep us updated and don't whack off the legs quite yet.

you guys are killing me , did i tell you it was my Birthday! what a present ! So it goes i need 4 inches thimble allows me a 3 inch move. im pretty sure i can pitch down slightly to gain the inch. BUT precision is required and im a hacker lol.
The Dealer could of said , oh well you uncrated it nothing i can do. So that tells me he is a good dealer. If i go Enviro i know im on my own as the dealer isnt this considerate. Guess we will see what tomorrow brings if this dealer goes to bat like he says and sends an installer out to look i'll do anything i can to stay with the AE in appreciation

BTW he said the AE is better off straight out and terminated no up at all

Happy Birthday.

Now tell us how many?

Copied from manual:

To reduce probability of reverse drafting during shut-down
conditions Hearth & Home Technologies strongly recommends:
• Installing the pellet vent with a minimum vertical run
of 5 feet (1.52m). Preferably terminating above the
roof line.
• Installing the outside air kit at least 4 feet (1.22 m)

just sayin.

Wait until I tell him that enviro can hit 70,000 BTU if you get the honking convection blower .....

Status
Not open for further replies.