m55 vs mt vernon ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say staight out is always better,it all depends on the location of the stove. I had to go out and up with mine because of the prevailing winds here off of the lake(nw). The wind wanted to choke out the fire,So I had no other choice but to go up above the roof line. What a difference it made in the draft though. And I don't get soot all over the siding either. I do have the other stove vented straight out though,With no problems.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Wait until I tell him that enviro can hit 70,000 BTU if you get the honking convection blower .....

I'm not feeling the love around here tonight that i proclaimed yesterday

oldmountvernon said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Wait until I tell him that enviro can hit 70,000 BTU if you get the honking convection blower .....

There are a couple more things that have to occur and it would mean major certification issues etc... but it can be done.

SmokeyTheBear said:
oldmountvernon said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

There are a couple more things that have to occur and it would mean major certification issues etc... but it can be done.

Like taking you out for a steak ? ok fine , but dont expect a good night kiss

oldmountvernon said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
oldmountvernon said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Like taking you out for a steak ? ok fine , but dont expect a good night kiss

Nope, minor gut transplant, the main issue is dumping the heat. Making it is easy, as the Binford Tool guy says, more power, just before slicing and dicing up the set.

Remember, I did say the certifications would sort of go away (meaning it'll be hot but no longer warranty qualified).

I never could understand the need for a large stove, afraid I'm in Snowy's camp on that one.

oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:
Maybe post sum pics of what you got(inside and out) and between everyone here we could figure out a solution.

What im gonna do right now is remove the wall thimble. Attach the pipe and thimble to the stove and move the stove into place. That should show me if the thimble will cover the existing hole

I had the same problem going from the Castile to the Mt.Vernon AE. I solved with by using 2 45 degree pipes. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight. It makes cleaning a challenge, but it works just fine.

SmokeyTheBear said:
I never could understand the need for a large stove....

Good point Smokey.

You know my opinion has changed over the years also, but thats only because now I know that I don't need 60k btu to heat my house.

My stove rarely comes off low and never needs to hit hi.

But now I know and if and when I replace my stove it doesn't necessarily have to be that big.

Doh!! my wifes cousin is the president of American Dryer I dont see why they couldnt cap the front of my thimble and extend it 2 inches or so on the bottom . Customized thimble :)

There better be alot of damn pics when ur finished, cause ya ain't supplin many now.

just sayin.

smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Good point Smokey.

You know my opinion has changed over the years also, but thats only because now I know that I don't need 60k btu to heat my house.

But now I know and if and when I replace my stove it doesn't necessarily have to be that big.

Ever forget to fill the hopper and come home to a cold house or have the power go out on you?

My stove may never go past the medium setting but dangit I got if when I need it. Warm my house on a cold day from 60ºF to 74ºF in around 4 hours. I'd rather roast my chester's than chiver any day! I actually use less fuel than the tiny tin can I was using ta-boot! Love the horsepower, How did tim the tool man grunt???

j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Good point Smokey.

Ever forget to fill the hopper and come home to a cold house or have the power go out on you?

My stove may never go past the medium setting but dangit I got if when I need it. Warm my house on a cold day from 60ºF to 74ºF in around 4 hours. I'd rather roast my chester's than chiver any day! I actually use less fuel than the tiny tin can I was using ta-boot! Love the horsepower, How did tim the tool man grunt???

You could do the Snowy routine Jay, multiple stoves.

You can also apply the permanent pellet solution. Get the BTUs needed down to a reasonable number like 10,000/hr and under. Which I might attempt if I can get enough time to do some "retrofitting". I keep looking at how this place is put together, it can be worked with.

My stove never gets above 3 and rarely is it on 3. So I understand the desire for the power and you need it at times, just trying to point out there are several ways of getting the job done.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Good point Smokey.

You could do the Snowy routine Jay, multiple stoves.

You can also apply the permanent pellet solution. Get the BTUs needed down to a reasonable number like 10,000/hr and under. Which I might attempt if I can get enough time to do some "retrofitting". I keep looking at how this place is put together, it can be worked with.

My stove never get above 3 and rarely is it on 3. So I understand the desire for the power and you need it at times, just trying to point out there are several ways of getting the job done.

That's like having to many mouths to feed or too many little brats running around getting under your feet. Less room for my electronic toys too(second stove means I loose something)! One beast is all I need. Less up keep and such. Just 1 stove and a once a week cleaning is way too easy for me! There's pro's and cons on both ya know. Its all about what works for you. Only thing I'll trade this beast in for is a full fledged multifuel furnace!

I'm still alive :) Install complete. End result i have an inch under the thimble to plaster. Only the lower moon shape of the inside of thimble. I was going to have the custom thimble made, he said bring it down. But i didnt want to bother a major corporation like that for an inch that i can just plaster up .

And........... Wheres the Pics??? LOL. ;-P

How did the outside portion fair?? Little siding work?

Congratulations again. You have one hell of a heater now.

Cheers.. (tipping a Great Lakes Brewing Co. "Christmas Ale"/only around 2 months of the year/delicious! )

same on the outside about an inch or so . the way i could of hid it completely on the outside was instead of having the thimble square, i could of turned it so it was diamond shaped and everything was hidden. But it looked a little weird lol. Im gonna trim it with something, probably a frame around an inch or so out of composite lumber

Man you gotta share some more pics of this oops just in case fellow pellet peeps ever run across this situation.

smoke show said:
Man you gotta share some more pics of this oops just in case fellow pellet peeps ever run across this situation.

X2! Good leason for some other peeps down the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.