magnetic stove thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At what temperature does stovepipe get damaged?
2000 it is not so much about damaging the pipe but not sending to much heat up the stack and wasting it. Or conversly not sending enough out so that the creosote condenses out of the smoke. But yes overfiring the stove is bad

Last edited:
So I guess there are no owners of the 17-VL who use magnetic thermometers, at least not as the mfr recommends.

I use one on the side of my stove, but it's actually meant for single wall pipe. It is pretty close to the temp gun reading at the lower ranges, not so much once you've got an inferno going. As others have said, it works good enough as a general reference.

After running a TelTru next to the Condar I can say that the Condar does pretty good for the price. (The difference in the pic is actually a temp difference on the stove and was the same when I swapped them).

DSC01769.JPG

So I guess there are no owners of the 17-VL who use magnetic thermometers, at least not as the mfr recommends.

I use a IR thermometer. I tried a magnetic thermometer for a few days when I first got my 17, but quickly became unsatisfied with it. I always measure my stove temps right above the door but not on the door itself. Your best bet for this stove would be a IR thermometer or a stack probe thermometer. IR's are cheap these days.....

I've got an Englander 17-VL. It has an air circulation gap under the top, so the owner's manual says to put the thermometer on the front above the door. Problem is that there is only about 1-1/4 of space there for the thermometer, and the Inferno's diameter is 2.5 inches. Also, the Inferno indicates an optimum range between 400 and 650 degrees, but my owner's manual says 350 to 600 is better, and defines 650 as a damaging over-fire.

So what quality thermometer do you recommend that is compatible with my stove?

I had this stove before I upgraded to the 13-nc. I put mine on the right side of the stove in the corner close to the door. Seemed to do ok there.

Status
Not open for further replies.